Review of When The Cat Cries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of When The Cat Cries

Post by Azuka Jessica »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When The Cat Cries" by G. Anthony Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever hated something so much that you became determined to eradicate every trace of its existence? A similar case happens in this book. When The Cat Cries is a fictional novel of 242 pages and 79 chapters by G. Anthony Smith. The book follows a series of murders by a man.

Treynor stepped out after making himself high with drugs. On his way, he encountered a cat that caused an accident and left him with an injury. It makes Treynor develop a deep hatred for cats and prompts him to set out on a mission. Treynor begins to hunt down the cat owners in every home that has a cat. How dangerous is this mission? Will Treynor get away with his acts? With investigators hot on his trail, how successful will Treynor be in this mission? Read this book to find out.

The book had a plot that concentrated on crime and investigation, and the author arranged it chronologically. It made the book easy to read. The author structured the book in chronological order, but it still included flashbacks in some parts that were relevant to the story. The characterization was also unique. I enjoyed the usual sarcastic exchange of words between detectives J. K. and Smith. It was funny but beautiful to watch their bonding. Treynor nailed the role of a serial killer who effortlessly leaves no traces behind and never gets caught.

There were many things I learned from this book. This book will educate readers on guns and their different types, the police department and investigation process, and how various departments handle cases. I also learned the motorcycle rules in California. I was surprised at the law that requires riders to wear an ear plug if they don’t have a helmet. I thought it would be the opposite. It was insightful. Even though it was not to the extent I expected, the book contains suspense. I was always eager to know how Treynor performed the next murder and if the investigation team found any clue about the killer.

However, there are some things I did not like about this book. It included too many details, most of which were unnecessary given the genre of the book. At a point, I began to feel that the book was dedicated solely to Max’s weekend activities. They are unnecessary to the flow of the storyline. I must warn readers about the unique conversation style used by the author. It is the opposite of the traditional style of writing prose books. It was unique but new and confusing. The book also contains a good number of errors. It requires a re-edit. For these reasons, I rate this book three out of five stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of fictional novels, especially crime and investigation genre lovers. However, I must warn you that the book contains a high level of profanity.

When The Cat Cries
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clarissa A
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Clarissa A »

I think it's really interesting and I also love how cat used in the story.
Gabriele Mattia Leonardo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriele-mattia-leonardo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Gabriele Mattia Leonardo »

Missions instigated out of experience of pain at times can seem dumb. Without experiencing pain, would Treynor had begun this mission in the first place? I don't think so. This seems like an interesting story.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Wow! Missions born out of revenge or hatred are always dangerous because one’s emotions are clouded. You didn’t state if he’s after the cat owners or the cat themselves. Nice review!
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

Should we say Trenor is on a weird journey because I don't think I wi do the same if I am in his shoes. Your review is well-written. Well done.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I love the fact that this is a short and interesting read. I would make out time to read this book.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Agbata Trust »

It's really funny of Treynor. He seems to be filled with hate. I would love to read about his gullible mission and how he ended. Thanks for this interesting review.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

Treynor is really funny. I do want to read this book because I don't the reason for the hatred. I want to know how he finally put an end to his bittered ways. Thanks for an intriguing review.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

I find this storyline very funny. So because of an injury, you make it your life mission to eradicate cats? An animal that had no idea you had an accident because of it... Woww
3mperor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mperor.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by 3mperor »

Very hilarious story line which I’d most definitely not like to miss out on. Amazing review ! I think Treynor’s hatred for cat is similar to the way we all dislike other things about life.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This fictional book has an interesting and hilarious storyline. It seems fun to read and I would love to try it out. This is a wonderful review.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

Murder mystery and the tales of murder perpetrated by a single man is what fills the book. It may be appealing to some readers but not to me. I have no intrest for this book.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

Treynor hunts down cat owners just because of an indelibrate mistake? This is so hard to believe. I'll like to read this crime and investigation thriller. It will be so satisfying to read about his arrest. Amazing review.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

I find Treynor's reason very funny. The title is catchy. Murder missions coming from a place of revenge and hate can be extreme. I'll only love to know the result of his decision. Good review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This crime thriller has some engaging elements and some funny bits but is burdened by an excess of details, so I have mixed feelings about it. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”