Review of Azazel's Public House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 610
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: No One Will Hear You Scream by EJ Goldberg Phillips
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Review of Azazel's Public House

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Azazel's Public House" by Marc Arginteanu.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I've read books about demons living in the bowels of churches, cemetery graves, and the attics of old, crusty homes. But this is the first book I’ve read about a demon running a local bar. In Azazel’s Public House, author Dr. Marc Arginteanu offers a new spin on deviltry by featuring a demonic bar owner who delights in making the lives of unwilling suspects a living hell.

Pete is a Preta, a human who has transformed into a demon. Ages old, Pete is magically bound to the wood of an ancient tree carved into the door of a rundown bar he manages. Azazel's Public House squats alongside the pungent Fresh Kills landfill in Staten Island, New York City. Forced to remain within a stone’s throw of the wood, Pete enters the minds of Staten Islanders via astral projection. Then, using his mental prowess, Pete compels his victims to perform dark deeds in hopes that should they generate enough ill will on his behalf, he might be “promoted” by the “guy downstairs,” ultimately being permitted to roam about freely in a physical state.

Azazel’s Public House is peppered with enough humor to have made me laugh out loud. There are great lines such as, “Pete’s ever-seeking spirit galloped upon his stallion of stink towards Azazel’s Public House.” But this is no comedy. The author features many heinous crimes in the book, including murder and the forced prostitution of young runaway girls. Pete is a nasty piece of work, and he does his best to tempt his unwary prey into a life of evil.

What I liked most about this book was Dr. Arginteanu’s creation of vivid characters. There's Carl, the gawky teenager who accidentally causes his best friend, Anthony, to stumble during a mock superhero battle, then surrenders himself into Pete's clutches by running from the scene rather than seeking help for the young man as he withers away in a pool of his blood. Carl befriends Gina, the strong-willed, pot-smoking high schooler whose mother, Joan, is Pete’s victim, wasting away in a coma. Richard, one of Pete's henchmen, is a drug dealer, pimp, and fixer whose job often requires him to rid Azazel's of any fresh corpse deposited by Pete during a fit of rage. And, of course, there's Pete, who is as smarmy as any demon can be. The author has created each of these, and many others, as believable individuals participating in an unbelievable series of events.

Dr. Arginteanu captures the essence of the Staten Island neighborhood during the 1980s before Internet activities absorbed the daily life of its youngsters. Azazel's is realistically drawn from its dark interior and wooden bar to its Valkyrie of a barmaid. You can almost feel the dust in your throat from the barren Tottenville High School athletic field as it’s kicked up during football practice. The sense of exhaustion and personal defeat permeates the adults in the story whose glory days are long gone, a fitting metaphor for life beside the dump. The looming mountain of trash from the landfill is omnipresent visually and olfactorily.

What I didn't like about the book was how the author infused too much of his actual profession into the book. A neurosurgeon in real life, Dr. Arginteanu carefully delineates various surgical procedures that do little to move the story. This technical jargon is unnecessary and could have been pared down a bit. In addition, the novel is filled with many errors, mostly in punctuation and capitalization. This book was not professionally edited. Sadly, the poor editing takes away from the enjoyment of the story.

Anyone who enjoys a good demonic horror story should find this book entertaining. Like me, if you have been a New Yorker and have driven through Staten Island and alongside the Fresh Kills landfill on multiple occasions, you may find a book about New York's fifth borough enjoyable. However, this book may not be for you if you are offended by horrifying death scenarios or do not enjoy extensive drug use or excessive profanity.

I award Azazel’s Public House a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, primarily because of the number of errors and the overuse of technical jargon. Although the story comes to a satisfying end, I suspect there might be a sequel. If so, I hope Dr. Arginteanu secures the services of a professional editor to make the reading experience much more enjoyable.

Azazel's Public House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amy Luman »

I am a big fan of horror stories. If demons are included, like here, so much the better. It’s easy to feel sorry for Pete because of his limited movement, the crimes he commits seem to make up for it. Thanks for showing me a new book to read.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

Reminds me of a movie series about the devil and how he quit hell and Moved try LA to retire and not go back to hell. Interesting movie that was presented well. I hope this book will live up to the expectations I already have for it.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

While the storyline seems rich and interesting, I do not appreciate that it was not professionally edited. Errors do take away from my reading experience. I also do not fancy horror stories. There is enough tales of horror in real life, I do not seek more.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

I don't enjoy demonic horror stories so I'll pass on this one. Lovers of the genre will enjoy it, though.
Timothy Rucinski

Amy Luman wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 15:50 I am a big fan of horror stories. If demons are included, like here, so much the better. It’s easy to feel sorry for Pete because of his limited movement, the crimes he commits seem to make up for it. Thanks for showing me a new book to read.
Thanks. Glad you liked the review.
Shondranika Ford
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Shondranika Ford »

This review was awesome and definitely made me add to my shelf. Thanks!
Timothy Rucinski

Amy Luman wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 15:50 I am a big fan of horror stories. If demons are included, like here, so much the better. It’s easy to feel sorry for Pete because of his limited movement, the crimes he commits seem to make up for it. Thanks for showing me a new book to read.
It's a wacky book, and Pete is one horrifying character. I think you'll also believe so should you pick up the book. Thanks for the comments.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I am a huge fan of horror movies but have never read a book about horror stories. I'm curious to know the end of Pete and his evil deeds. Thank you for this wonderful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging horror story and the presence of humor is a plus, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Timothy Rucinski

NetMassimo wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 11:15 This seems like an engaging horror story and the presence of humor is a plus, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you kindly!!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”