Review of Delusions

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace Lee Rose
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Delusions

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Delusions" by Lorraine DeSousa.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Delusions is a work of fiction by Lorraine DeSousa. The book was told from the perspective of a husband and his wife. Their union was based on love, belief, and tricky delusions.

The man described his life, his wife, and the effect she had on him. They had two daughters. Because of the strange episodes he experienced, which included seeing things others weren't able to, he speculated that his life wasn't normal. He lived in two worlds. One was considered by him to be a weak alternate universe, and the other was the new world. However, he had the conviction that the alternate world wasn't real and decided to find his way fully back to the new world. His wife wasn't in line with him on his visions, as she wasn't yet seeing the things he saw. Unknown to her, this situation was about to change.

Readers would be wondering why there wasn't any mention of the couple's name. In the book, they were addressed by the author as "he" and "she" from the start of the book to its last page. While reading, readers would be left with the question of why each of them found themselves in some situations, but not to worry; everything was explained as the narrative progressed.

I learned something from the narrative, which was the undying truth that each of us is responsible for our decisions. Our decisions might have a negative or positive outcome. If the outcome turns out to be negative, it is expedient to know that we shouldn't apportion blame to anyone but instead find ways to remedy the situation. I liked the quotes at the start of each new section. It gave readers an avenue to think deeply, and it also nicely complemented the chapter's contents. The author's writing style flowed smoothly, and as such, the book's content was easy to comprehend. The viewpoint kept changing between the husband and his wife, and I appreciated that the author, at the onset of each chapter, let readers know from whose perspective each chapter was. At some point, I got confused as to why the couple was in some situations they found themselves in, and it was pleasing to discover the author gave adequate backstories as to why this was so.

I wasn't too comfortable with the book's formatting. This was because the texts were placed on the side instead of in the middle. I also didn't like that it was tiny and that I had to zoom in to see the writing very well. Nonetheless, I tried not to let this affect my assimilation of the narrative. While reading, I noted only one error, and this shows the book was professionally edited. For the abovementioned reasons, I'll rate it five out of five stars.

I recommend this book to readers who are huge fans of well-written works of fiction. Children wouldn't be suited to read this book because the narrative will be alien to them. 

Delusions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
SarahAnnHaywood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahannhaywood.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein

Post by SarahAnnHaywood »

Great review, thank you! I especially appreciate your thorough descriptions. I love this type of story but one can’t always gauge the quality, so your words are helpful. Looking forward to trying this one!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The book has a unique narrative since the characters have no names. I think it's not an easy read because of that. But anyway, your review conveys that any fiction lover can try to find out this well-written work.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
julienne sevilla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by julienne sevilla »

the author of the story is smart and cool for thinking about it and I love it
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

You did an amazing if not perfect job on the analysis of the book. Delusions would be an interesting read. It's kind of disheartening to know the names of the characters weren't mentioned. I wonder how it will feel to read such narrative.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

The art cover of this book was carefully thought out and perfectly fits the theme of the book. When I looked at it, I immediately became curious and wanted to know more about the contents.
Ezennaya D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezennaya-d.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Ezennaya D »

The name Delusions summarize what the woman's husband was going through, and probably this affected the wellbeing of the family. From the review, I was wondering which of the worlds he settled in finally? The author has shown great skills with his narrative style. Nice review.
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Nerd_Chris »

I like the whole concept of the book. Being able to see different worlds, I guess that the origin of the book's title, Delusion. It would be nice to know what happened later on in the novel. Thanks for a well-written review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Gabriele Mattia Leonardo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriele-mattia-leonardo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Gabriele Mattia Leonardo »

I've not read this book before but reading your review has got me think that this book is actually going to be worth my while. Nice review!
New Nikky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-new-nikky.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by New Nikky »

You have a good review which is none other than the one you have here. I enjoyed your storyline and I will like to read the book when I have the chance or at my leisure. Good one we have here.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

It is rare to read a book where the characters have no names, and it seems that it did not cause any confusion for you as a reader. This is worth checking out. You did a good job of giving this detail attention. It's a sure way to get your readers curious about the content of the book. Very nicely done!
Favour Ozone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ozone.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Favour Ozone »

A beautiful thing to behold is an act of love. I'm excited to read the book based on what you've said about it. I also appreciate that your review was free of spoilers. Excellent review.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

I wonder how the man was able to cope with living in two different worlds and seeing beyond the ordinary. I kind of love the way the couple weren't given names though. Nice review!
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

I found this review to be interesting because it's a family-inspired one. I would definitely love to add it to my shelf. Thanks for a well-simplified and engaging review. Keep it up. Family-inspired books intrigue me.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

This story has a unique intrigue to it, I mean I wonder what it feels like living in two worlds, seeing things that no one else is able to see and comprehend. I'd like to pick this book and find out more about the couple's experiences. Also, I think that the fact that the names of the couple were not given adds a different feeling to the book, though I'm not sure if it's a positive or negative one. I do hope some work is done on the formatting of the book, since you mentioned that you weren't comfortable with it. Thanks for a thorough review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”