Review of Another Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of Another Me

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Another Me" by Ali Vere.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Another Me: Families and their Lies by Ali Vere tells us the story of Emily Fisher, who has been living her life with a large chunk of darkness in her memory. After a vague childhood accident, which she can't seem to remember, her life takes a turn. However, one can never forsake their old self. Once your past exists, it will creep back one day and haunt you for the rest of your life. In Emily's case, her past has a form. It's her childhood friend, Nina, the one involved in that accident. When they meet again as adults, Nina's words spark an uneasy feeling inside Emily. Is it time for her to face the darkness in her heart? What really happened twenty-one years ago to eight-year-old Emily? What will she dig up during her quest for her missing memory?

I like the mysterious veil that constantly envelops the tale. Like walking amid a dark fog, you will struggle to find your way out. As you follow Emily's narrative, you find yourself in a messed-up world. Trapped in her jumbled thoughts, you will wonder if what she says is the truth. Sometimes, it feels like you are listening to a psycho and her made-up events, and you may even suspect that she is the real villain here.

As the story unfolds, more and more secrets are revealed. For example, you will discover the real identity of Nina's brother, the crime that Nina's family committed, or the feelings Nina actually harbors for Emily. Eventually, you realize that each character carries a demon inside their heart. The only difference is how they cope with it. Standing in the middle of that is Emily, who tries to uncover what happened to her when she was young.

On the downside, the transition between the scenes is a bit incoherent, so you may be confused until you connect the dots. Besides, I can't help but feel that everything is not real. We have no solid proof aside from Emily's unreliable memory and everyone's reactions (which are observed by Emily herself). Hence, I think the first-person point of view backfires. If possible, a different viewpoint should be added to authenticate the events. Not to mention, I suggest another round of proofreading to fix the grammatical errors.

Considering the mentioned negative aspects, I will rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. If you like psychological novels, I guess this is a good choice. There are many swear words, so I don't think it's suitable for young readers.

Another Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Another Me looks like a suspenseful novel. Aside from the intriguing title, Emily and Nina's characters seem to contribute to make the book a page-turner. I think this book is brimming with darkness and lies. Excellent review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
lyss_sed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lyss_sed »

I like the fact of this book having a curious title. It makes you think before reading: a good new version or a tough new version.
Knowing of secrets that will be revealed keeps the readers engaged. This book would be wonderful for someone a little older who likes suspense.
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

I wonder what the real truth is between Emily and Nina. The storyline is an exciting one, and I'd like to find out the details of Emily's forgotten memories.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I'm eager to read this book because it will definitely play with my imagination. I like books that are mysterious and this review was very helpful.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”