Review of The Curse of the Mystic Lakes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Review of The Curse of the Mystic Lakes

Post by Amanda Warner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Curse of the Mystic Lakes" by Riano D. McFarland.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Maribelle got an invitation message from Stephan to go with him to a Mystic Lake party. The text made Maribelle very excited as she had always had a crush on him and was unaware that he liked her too, but after the message, everything changed as the two love birds were set to attend the lake party together. The Curse of the Mystic Lakes by Riano D. McFarland is a fictional book that starts by talking about the love and connection between Maribelle Rowe and Stephan Marquette. The party was held on a Saturday, and the two lovebirds were present at the party, but their presence made Clarissa somewhat angry at the two of them, which made her send a video of both of them to her mother, which later got to Dan Marquette, who never approved of Stephan and Maribelle's relationship. He came to the party and caused a scene, and the things he told Maribelle made her upset, which made her dive into the lake. Stephan, not seeing her, dove into the lake in search of his lover. Did Stephan succeed in finding Maribelle? What happened later between them? Find out when you read this book.

At first, I thought the book was just about Stephan and Maribelle, but while reading, I discovered that it was much more than that, as the book covered different parts that talked about magic, sorcery, mystical beings, and warlocks, and the most amazing thing was that every chapter of the book connected, which made the book more enjoyable.

What I loved most about this book was how Ingrid Rowe wielded her magical powers. I also loved how she did not let vengeance get the best of her as she let karma take its course. I loved how she used her magical powers to help those in need, especially how she used them to save Rebecca Martin and came to her rescue at the right time. I admired the inseparable love exhibited by Stephan and Maribelle, as their kind of love was rare.

In this book, I strongly disliked Clarissa's possessive and dominant character as it made her do things that affected her later at the end, though that did not stop me from enjoying this book as each chapter was made up of suspense that would make the reader wonder what's going to happen next. While reading this book, I only discovered a few errors, which led me to the conclusion that this book was professionally edited. Because of how intriguing and entertaining the book was, I gave it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Those who don't like a high level of profanity and sexual acts in a book may find this one a little disturbing. I, therefore, recommend this book to those who love books that have a combination of love, romance, magic, and mystical beings, as they will enjoy reading it.

The Curse of the Mystic Lakes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chibee Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibee-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibee Glory »

This amazing book is for those who love magic, and sorcery stories. Just imagining how the author combined love, romance, sorcery, and magic to make a fantastic story. I will like to have a copy of this book.
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Post by Meghan Sica »

This is an amazing review! It makes me want to pick up this book and start reading. I love stories about young love, magic, and mystery. It sounds like this book has it all.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

This novel is interesting, my question is will Maribelle survive after diving into the lake? I look forward to reading this book.
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

Seems interesting but why do I feel like there's more mystery to be uncovered about the Mystic Lake?
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I can't wait to unfold the mysterious events in this book. This is a wonderful review, well done.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm afraid there's too much love and romance for my taste in this novel and the magic is not enough to keep me interested. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Manabjyoti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Manabjyoti »

The review of "The Curse of the Mystic Lakes" by Riano D. McFarland highlights the unexpected depth of the story beyond the initial focus on Stephan and Maribelle. The inclusion of magic, sorcery, mystical beings, and warlocks in a seamlessly connected narrative adds to the book's enjoyment. The reviewer appreciates Ingrid Rowe's portrayal of magical powers and the theme of karma. The inseparable love between Stephan and Maribelle is praised, while Clarissa's possessive character is strongly disliked. The reviewer notes minimal errors, indicating professional editing, and gives the book a 5 out of 5 stars rating. It's recommended for those who enjoy a mix of love, romance, magic, and mystical elements, with a caution for readers sensitive to profanity and sexual content.
Manab :| :|
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Your review of 'The Curse of the Mystic Lakes' really highlights the multi-layered aspects of the story. It's intriguing how the book starts with a simple love story but evolves into a complex narrative involving magic, sorcery, and mystical beings. Your appreciation for the character development, particularly Ingrid Rowe's use of her magical powers, adds depth to the understanding of the book's themes. It's great to see such well-edited work receiving a high rating!
Kirsten Wheeler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsten-wheeler.html
Latest Review: The Great Migration by Steve Ramirez

Post by Kirsten Wheeler »

Lovely review. How you described the book makes me very interested in reading it. I'm excited that this is not a straightforward story but mixes magic, sorcery, romance, mystery, etc.
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

A really captivating and skillfully crafted spooky tale. I admired the author's skill at gradually revealing startling details about different personalities. All of the characters were fascinating, too.
I adored the cover art as well. Congratulations on BOTD.
Prince Ekeoma
Currently Reading: The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Prince Ekeoma »

"The Curse of the Mystic Lakes" by Riano D. McFarland. An interesting book, talks about Maribelle and Stephan the two love birds, they never knew they liked each other. Realizing that, they're set to attend the lake party together. The story still went further talking about Ingrid Rowe and her powers using it to save lives. The author's writing style was great and the book was more of love, romance and magic. Congrats on your #BOTD.
Aang Krishna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ni-ketut-anggraeni.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Aang Krishna »

Thank you for a great review. The storyline about mystic combined with romance makes me corious to read this Book. Why the lake called mystic lake?how about Maribelle?what kind of the curse? Very interesting to know more. Congrats&GBU
:techie-studying gray: keep reading book and always happy
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80291
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 786%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Families r split against one another as they attempt to lay blame for loss of their only begotten child in upper mystic lake..
Yvonne Oloo
Currently Reading: Angel Falling
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-oloo.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Yvonne Oloo »

Thanks for the great review. I have sampled just a few pages and the book seemed to me like a young adult book; what with the high school party, the girls chiding Maribelle for her looks and family background, and one of the girls fighting for Stephan. However, your mention that the book is more than what appears on the surface by including sorcery, magic, warlocks, and mystical beings adds some intrigue to this young adult plot. I look forward to reading it at some later time in the future.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”