Review of Murder at Amapas Beach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of Murder at Amapas Beach

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murder at Amapas Beach" by James Gilbert.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

There’s nothing like a cold-blooded murder to destroy your romantic getaway. American Consulate, Amanda Pennyworth, is savoring the last few hours in Puerto Vallarta with her boyfriend, police officer Romero when a woman from their tour group is found bleeding and left for dead. When she wandered off towards the local artisans, no one from the tour group claimed to have seen anything. Still, Amanda believes the murder was premeditated and likely carried out by someone in the group.

At first, Amanda’s involvement is to merely aid the police by translating for the American vacationers. Still, she quickly finds herself over her head, embroiled in the investigation, searching rooms, and doing things far beyond her scope as a consulate.

Why is Detective Perez so keen on Amanda’s involvement, and could the killer be walking among them? Read the book and find out.

Murder at Amapas Beach by James Gilbert is an intriguing crime thriller that had me guessing until the end. The book is told from the third-person perspective, following Amanda Pennyworth as she finds herself way out of her comfort zone, helping Officer Perez solve a murder case. Beyond the adrenaline-inducing storyline, the book boasts the idyllic setting of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, including the beautiful island of Amapas.

I thoroughly enjoyed Amanda’s character, who was an assertive protagonist, giving off strong and independent vibes. It was apparent from the get-go that males largely dominated crime and investigation in Mexico, and Amanda was forced to compete with narrowmindedness and macho attitudes, especially when dealing with Gonzalez. Still, she knew how to put males in their places while maintaining her calm, professional demeanor. I also loved how the author included tidbits from Amanda’s history, which offered little breadcrumbs of information and kept me immersed, such as revealing that she’d recently witnessed several suspicious deaths. It kept me wondering if Amanda was somehow targeted by a killer’s sadistic games.

The mystery of who ruthlessly murdered Danielle infiltrated my thoughts, and I found myself playing the detective. The author did an excellent job of stirring up questions in my mind, constantly ruminating over which of the Americans did this to their friend or if it was possible, they had banded together. What about the tour guide? He seemed particularly agitated when questioned by the authorities. So many possibilities kept me devouring page after page until the shocking ending.

This all-encompassing mystery captured my full attention, and there was nothing to dislike about it. Further, the writing was easy to follow and exceptionally edited; there were no errors at all! I have chosen to give Murder at Amapas Beach a rating of five out of five stars; Amanda Pennyworth was a likable, worthy main character I admired, and I loved piecing together the puzzling murder of Danielle. I recommend the book to readers who love character-driven mysteries set in exotic locations.

Murder at Amapas Beach
View: on Bookshelves
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Thank you so much, Stephanie. 100% I want to read this book because of your review. I'm a sucker for a good whodunnit and this sounds like one I'll enjoy. I'll keep checking your reviews for more great reads.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I really enjoy mystery novels especially those with a lot of cliffhangers. The suspense draws me in and I can't step away until I uncover it. Your review shows that this is a well written myself story.
Akeju Abisola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Akeju Abisola »

This is a very interesting book. I am someone who is always interested in a character like Amanda who is interested in the investigation of the crime committed by those she believed they did it... Thanks for this wonderful review
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

I can imagine the level of suspense this crime thriller brings. I can imagine Amanda in my head moving from room to room in search of the murderer. The twist in the plot seemed high as everyone is viewed as a suspect especially among the holiday makers. From the review am certain that this is the kind of book I look forward to read. I would add it to my book shelf. I certainly will.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

Why do I find it exciting that the killer might actually be walking among them, knowing their every move?
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

The suspense in this book is intriguing and I will love to have on my bookshelf. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”