Review of Sierra Ice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Review of Sierra Ice

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sierra Ice" by Larry Nelson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sierra Ice by Larry Nelson is an interesting fiction book. It was November 2, 1943, in Capetown, South Africa, at the house of Alan. The alarm, which went off at around 0145 hours, was reminding Alan to get ready for an undisclosed mission in an hour. He later found out the mission required him to captain a shipment from South Africa to North America. Alan is a 38-year-old U.S. Navy officer who is responsible for commanding the cargo ships that move equipment and materials for the war. Fast forward to the present, when a Ph.D. student, Adam, travels to the Yad Vashem memorial in Jerusalem in search of Holocaust resources for his thesis. After his trip, he was reported missing. Adam's parents reported their son missing to Vince Nagy. Vince is a private security investigator who helps unravel the mystery behind missing things. How does the story in this book connect Vince, Adam, and Alan? Why did Adam go missing? Did Alan succeed in this mission to deliver cargo from South Africa to America? Read the rest of this book to find out.

This book has a lot of terms unique to the Marines. Sailors and ship captains will find the content of this book very insightful. From this book, one can learn the process of investigating crimes. I learned a lot by reading how Vince gradually unraveled the mystery behind Adam's disappearance.

The only thing I dislike about this book is the amount of time the author spends describing buildings and rooms. I think those descriptions were not necessary and contributed to extending the number of pages in this book.

Also, I like the level of love that exists between Vince and his wife in this book. It is rare to find couples who successfully run a business without allowing the financial management of the business to get in the way. This couple, who happen to be the only employees in their private establishment, managed to work harmoniously with each other. 

That I was not able to predict the next line of action in the story in this book is what kept me hooked. This book's author is a suspense expert. His writing style ensured I stayed longer with this book, wanting to know what happens next. Reading through the first 22 chapters did not make sense to me because it contains stories about Captain Alan, an armored car robbery, and the missing Adam. It was not until the 30th chapter that I began to connect the dots between these separate stories.

Furthermore, the editors of this book did a professional job with their editing. Also, the author tried to pass his message across by using simple and easy-to-understand words in his writing. I admire this book's writing style because it kept me hooked until the last page. Also, the author did a great job with the development of the characters in this book. Judging from the above, I am giving this book five out of five stars.

Finally, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in reading detective books. This one is an outlier in the detective book genre. Finally, security operatives will also find the story in this book insightful.

Sierra Ice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
KeionaSamuels
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KeionaSamuels »

The plot sounds unique and captivating and would be a great read. I particularly enjoy reading books on international conflict and how it was resolved. I hope nothing bad happens to Adam.
KeionaSamuels
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KeionaSamuels »

The plot sounds unique and captivating and would be a great read. I particularly enjoy reading books on international conflict and how it was resolved. I hope nothing bad happens to Adam.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This novel has an interesting theme of suspense. There will be a lot of unraveling of different cases here. I’ll love to read this. Nice review!
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

I love how the plot of this book unfolds. The suspense in it makes me want to read. The author has a simple and unique style of writing which I admire. Thanks for a great review.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

I'm an avid fan of investigative books, hence, I connected with this plot. Adam's disappearance seems to have brought a lot of fear to his parents and colleagues. I hope they were able to find him in the end. A great review you got.
Favour Hann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hann.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Favour Hann »

I wonder the connectivity between these three characters, Vince, Adam and Alan. However, the story seems to be filled with lots of exciting and thrilling moments.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery that seems to have several aspects set in an unusual setting is intriguing to me and I'm ready to be patient to reach the parts of a novel in which dots start connecting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”