Review of The Body & The Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Review of The Body & The Soul

Post by Donald Kelvin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Body & The Soul" by Deirdre Hutchins.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This fascinating story begins on a gruesome note. A jogger had just come across the body of a seventeen-year-old girl, Grace Collins, floating on the water with her throat slashed. The police were contacted, and the case was assigned to detectives Miguel and Gina. When the detectives arrive, they are at a loss for clues about the case. Miguel then recalls a call from a lady who claimed to be a psychic and had identified the body before it was found. Working with the psychic, Daphne, and Grace's ghost, the detectives are able to discover that Grace had been murdered in something called a "snuff film."

As the novel progresses, the detectives do their best to uncover the people behind Grace's murder and the Bornstar Company. Grace's ghost informs Daphne that her best friend, Ellie, has been picked up to star in one of those films. The detectives again have to work against the clock to rescue Ellie. Would they make it in time? It also appears that the prime suspects in the murder are only pawns in the big game. What is more hidden about this company? Daphne has also begun to feel some connection with Miguel. What does the future hold for the pair? Read The Body & The Soul by Deirdre Hutchins for the full details of this plot.

After reading this book, I must compliment the plot; we do not often hear ghosts return to help in their murder investigation. My favorite character in this book is Daphne; her persistence and dedication to her cause are admirable. She could ignore these ghosts if she wanted to, but she chose to help them; that is beautiful. Another thing of interest was the attraction between Daphne and Miguel; the fact that they did not allow it to hinder the case was pleasing, although I wouldn't say I liked how Daphne liked to walk into danger.

This book had an exciting plot; it captivated my interest from the beginning to the end. Apart from that, there was no dull moment; all actions led up to each other perfectly well. The story perfectly blends mystery, suspense, and dedication to a cause. The character development was wonderfully portrayed; all featured characters had a place in the story and background information. The way the author told this story was also lovely; although there were hints of the supernatural, it wasn't said in a way that would evoke unnecessary fear and hence hinder some of the audience. I also have to commend the author and editors for a well-done job. I did not come across a single error throughout the time I spent on this book; hence, I believe it was exceptionally well-edited.

The Body & The Soul by Deirdre Hutchins receives 5 out of 5 stars from me for its impressive plot and impeccable editing. I recommend this book to audiences interested in mystery, suspense, and the paranormal.

The Body & The Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Thanks, Donald; this sounds like my kind of book. I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't written this review. Based on your 5/5 rating, I'm adding this to my bookshelf. Thanks again.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

The death of this young girl is quite terrible to read about. I hope the people behind Grace's murder are brought to justice. The existence of the psychic piques my interest. Beautiful review.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

The storyline here is an enthralling one filed with suspense. From your review, this looks like the kind of book that has you turning the pages non-stop till the end, trying to have your curiosity satisfied. Nice review!
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

The plot is catchy and engaging, I will love to read this book. Thanks for the review. Well done.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

I love how the plot of this story progressed. I wonder what actually led to the death of Grace Collins. It seems like a great read and I look forward to reading it. Well done.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

I was enjoying review not until I came across the place of ghosts. It's sound so unrealistic. Though the storyline is quite interesting. Thanks for such a beautiful review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

From your review, I have the feeling that the book would be an imtrersting read. I look forward to reading the book and finding out what the word snuff film means. Well done!!!
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

This book will make a great movie. I guess Grace won't be able to rest until her killer was found. Thanks for this review. Looking forward to reading this book and finding out the turnout of events.
Damiana Mwalongo
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Damiana Mwalongo »

The book has got thrilling story,and my favorite character in the book is Daphne being ready to help although she could just choose to ignore the ghosts. And also the attraction between Daphne and Miguel made me to finish the whole story
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

Snuff film? I've never heard of that before. Why would Grace Collin be killed in a movie? What kind of people is supervising this said movie? I'd like to know all these things. Great review.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Wow! This story line is an interesting one. I like it and this is my first time coming across a book that has to do with ghosts. I’ll definitely love to read this. Nice revuew!
Nmesomachi Ambie
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange trial
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesomachi-ambie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nmesomachi Ambie »

Seems like a wonderful plot but I'll pass because I'm really scared of ghost. Thanks for the interesting review.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

This is such an amazing story, it brings the characters into focus and tells the story I'm a unique way that all readers would love.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

Such a captivating plot! I have to agree with you, it's not every day you stumble on books portraying ghosts helping out in their murder investigation. Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”