Review of Superimposed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Review of Superimposed

Post by Alex Reeves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Superimposed" by Omar AlBadri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Imagine having the power to appear in any video just by touching the screen of your phone as the video plays. That is the fate of Ben, a software engineer working for a growing tech company in San Francisco. Ben's boring, alcoholic, near-meaningless life during the pandemic changed when he learned that his ex-girlfriend, Jinni, whom he loved so much, had committed suicide. The most shocking thing was that her death was filmed and uploaded to a new streaming platform, NikNak, and Ben found this very offensive. After attending her funeral, the distraught Ben finds out that he can “superimpose” himself into any video he wants to, and he strives to make good use of his newfound power. Ben goes on to find the cause of her suicide, as he knew she held dark secrets, but he knew nothing of them. While discovering more about Jinni's past to save her from killing herself, Ben uncovers terrible things he never anticipated. What will he discover, and how will he be able to use his powers to prevent Jinni's death? What will all this cost him, and will saving Jinni change the normal timeline? Check out this mind-blowing thriller to find out.

This book, Superimposed by Omar AlBadri, tells more of self-discovery and fulfillment than anything else. It tells of an alcoholic who considers himself to be a mess and is blessed with the unimaginable power of imposing himself in videos. However, as they say, with great power comes great responsibility, and the task of saving Jinni is a massive responsibility for Ben. This book provided an insight into the lives of people during the pandemic, and I enjoyed how the story was subtle and slow-paced, although at times things get too rough for Ben. This book has an important story to tell, and the lessons in it are not to be taken for granted. It introduced a social app that was doing more harm than good, and I loved how Ben uncovered their antics, even risking his job for it. The script was intriguing and well-written, even though I had a problem with the writing style. I enjoyed this book, mostly because I wanted to see how it ended, as the story had an enchantment to it. 

I was very impressed when I found out that there were no errors in this book. It is essential to note that this book contains scenes of child molestation, and if you don't feel comfortable with that, I would advise you not to read this book. 

The aspect of this book that bothered me was the writing style, which seemed poor to me. The author had the habit of inserting flashbacks and memories directly into the story, making it difficult for the reader to process the difference between the past and present. At times, I got lost as to the period in which a certain event took place, only to find out that it happened years ago and was only a flashback. This greatly bothered me, and I wish to state this explicitly.

I took my time to read this book, but I must confess that it wasn't very suitable for me, even though I enjoyed some parts of it. This book contains no errors, so I believe that it was exceptionally well edited. All said and done, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. This rating, however, is specifically from my standpoint, and someone else could have a higher opinion of it.

This book will be suitable for you if you'll enjoy a story about development and fulfillment. It is a coming-of-age story, and if such books interest you, you'll certainly enjoy reading this book. 

Superimposed
View: on Bookshelves
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Wed all have secrets that we keep, even from those closest to us. Usually, though, they are not as dark as Jinni’s seem to be.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

Amy Luman wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 21:03 Wed all have secrets that we keep, even from those closest to us. Usually, though, they are not as dark as Jinni’s seem to be.
Jinni's secrets weren't really her fault, I hope you understand this. I'd say she was a victim, a victim who had no choice but to go with the flow. Who knew that past actions, I mean childhood actions could drive someone to commit suicide when the person has become older.
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

This book would really be mind-blowing and intriguing. I'm very much interested in knowing what Ben discovered.
Ngozi Vivian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ngozi Vivian »

Having a book on self discovery with powers in it makes this book look interesting to read. I'll recommend it for adolescents and teenagers to help them grow.
Last edited by Ngozi Vivian on 22 Feb 2023, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I really like the idea of the book, it sounds brilliant, but if the writing style is poor that is a real shame. Thst could make it a lot less enjoyable.
AbigailRay
Currently Reading: Let The Children Come
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigailray.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by AbigailRay »

Wow! This book is intriguing. I'm wondering what Ben uncovers and if it will help in saving Binny. I guess I have to read it to know. Nice review.
Edwardsjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsjay.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edwardsjay »

This storyline is amazing and I will add this book to my shelf soon. Great review, well done.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A coming-of-age story and a techno-thriller as well, judging from its plot, which makes me curious to see its developments. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”