Review of Payback

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Review of Payback

Post by Kelsey Roy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Payback" by Larry G. Goldsmith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Larry G. Goldsmith's work Payback is a fictional crime thriller novel. The plot follows the main character, Hanna, through her life in Chicago. Hannah is a young adult attending college classes and seeking to build a successful career in the medical field. Suddenly, Hanna's life turns upside down. This book contains mystery, kidnapping, murder, and coming-of-age topics as Hanna navigates new life circumstances.

Hanna is working on her summer internship at her father's hospital when the unthinkable happens. Hanna is kidnapped and taken west to be held captive in Idaho. During her time in captivity, Hanna learns to love the unornamented aspects of life. Does Hanna ever make it out of Idaho?

My favorite thing about this novel was the fast-paced plot. Payback is a quick, easy read that keeps readers engaged throughout every chapter. At no point did I wish the storyline moved faster or slower, and I enjoyed how the story progressed from beginning to end. Although this is a short novel, Goldsmith did an excellent job of introducing and developing each significant character and setting.

I did find more than ten grammatical errors in the text, and these issues somewhat affected my enjoyment of the novel. In addition to the mistake, I found the dialogue dry at the beginning of the book. Two teenagers were speaking to each other in proper English and fully formed sentences, without even a hint of slang. Although not grammatically incorrect, I found this dialogue unfitting for the scenario. I believe a more casual diction would fit the scene better.

I rate Payback 4 out of 5 stars. I took one point off for the mistakes and curious dialogue, as these details affected my enjoyment of the storyline. I enjoyed the plot overall and found myself surprised multiple times by the twists and turns within the story. I appreciate the plot twists within the novel as they kept me engaged in the story. I believe the novel's length is perfect for the storyline, and the story wrapped up nicely in the final chapter.

Readers who enjoy coming-of-age stories, crime and mystery topics, or short thrillers will enjoy this novel. Although the book details Hanna's Jewish background and traditions, readers of all religious backgrounds, including non-religion, can enjoy this novel. I caution readers under age 16 from reading this book due to the general discussion of sexual encounters, including sexual assault. Additionally, there is violence and crime throughout the plot, which may be too much for young readers.

payback
View: on Bookshelves
Charles Ashinze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-ashinze.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Charles Ashinze »

I like that the pace of the story is not too slow or too fast. Too slow will make the book boring. But the presence of multiple errors puts me off. Like you stated, this can affect my reading experience. The author should get the book properly edited.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I like this story's outline. It seems like something I would be immersed in. I would definitely love to read it. Thank you for your review.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I like medium and fast-paced storylines books, and the plot of this book sounds interesting. I think I should give it a try. I hope the errors don't deter me from enjoying the book too much.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I would consider reading this book to find out how Hanna's life ended.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Definitely reading this book because if I don’t I won’t know what Hanna’s life will be. I enjoyed reading your review, well done.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This is an unusual coming-of-age story considering Hanna's dramatic situation and I'm curious to see what happens to her. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”