Review of The Catch!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Review of The Catch!

Post by Alex Reeves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Catch!" by Paul Sargia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The path of self-discovery and self-fulfillment is one full of trepidation, and even at the peak of their middle age, many people find themselves still on that path. The Catch! by Paul Sargia is an intriguing tale that tells of Johnny Sloper, a man in his late thirties who is yet to discover his balance in life. Fostered by his uncle, Captain Eugene Sloper, Johnny's interaction with life compares to that of a youngster, going to parties and busying himself with ladies and softball games while running a marina. However, his life-turning point came when he met Michael, a fellow softball player who has a unique aura around him, and he was forced to reconsider his path. Thereafter, his uncle contacts him and tells him that a family heirloom he was meant to inherit was supposedly stolen by one Doctor James Wilson, and he is asked to tail the man to see if he can recover the heirloom. He meets Michael's friend, Robin, a strikingly attractive woman who volunteers to help him track down the doctor. Johnny, however, is not aware of the consequences that following a man like Doctor Wilson could bring to him, and when the situation turns ugly and the unexpected happens, his quest for self-discovery and fulfillment is questioned, and he only has one chance to fulfill himself. What becomes of him and his sleuthing friends? Do they get involved in a heist that none of them were expecting? Check out this mind-blowing thriller to find out.

One of the qualities I admire in authors like Paul Sargia is their ability to put out philosophical messages without getting readers bored with ambiguous quotes. This book is a crime thriller, but reading deeper into it, you find coded messages that the author tries to pass on through the characters. Michael had a wide knowledge of philosophy, which he demonstrated purposefully throughout the book, inspiring Johnny to become a better version of himself. I'd also say that one thing I value about this book is the intelligence of its characters. The characters were highly sophisticated, and this made them seem like role models to me. Although the way the characters were introduced at the beginning seemed a bit rushed for me, I was fascinated by the happenings in the book, particularly the way the pace of the book kept rising and falling at intervals. The suspense was in check, and I must commend the author for his graceful writing style. I certainly enjoyed the tense atmosphere in several parts of this book, and the fact that it embodies several genres, including romance, makes it highly valuable to me.

Sincerely speaking, I was bothered by the rushed and somewhat jumbled introduction of the characters at the beginning of this book. Different scenes introducing the characters were almost intertwined, making it difficult for the reader to fully picture the happenings in the book. At some point, I was trying hard to keep track of all the characters, and I had to dwell on their names more than necessary. This bothered me somehow, and I hope to state that explicitly.

This book has an outstanding script, and even though I found a few errors in it, it was certainly professionally edited. I hold this book in high esteem, but due to the reasons aforementioned, I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. It was almost hard to keep up with the beginning, and that's the reason I don't deem this book perfect. However, this is specifically from my standpoint, and someone else may find nothing wrong with it at all.

In conclusion, I would appropriately recommend this book to lovers of action, thrillers, romance, suspense, and philosophy. In addition, mature content and profane vocabulary are present in this book, so I'll deem it more suitable for a mature audience. However, this book encompasses the aforementioned genres, and if you take delight in reading any of them, this book is right for you. What are you doing today?

The Catch!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Edwardsjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsjay.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edwardsjay »

Johnny sure had a fun life. I am eager to know if gets fulfilled at last. Thank you for this review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like the last sentence. Well, probably reading.😊 I could sense that I can relate to Johnny's character because I am still in self-discovery, however, the trepidation you mentioned bothers me because I am afraid I will fall into that trap. I am curious about the heirloom. Would Johnny find it, or rather makes Johnny unfulfilled in life? This is intriguing and I like how you grab my attention with your masterful written review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

This is a thriller book and such interests me. Looking forward to reading this book. Beautiful review.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 22:37 I like the last sentence. Well, probably reading.😊 I could sense that I can relate to Johnny's character because I am still in self-discovery, however, the trepidation you mentioned bothers me because I am afraid I will fall into that trap. I am curious about the heirloom. Would Johnny find it, or rather makes Johnny unfulfilled in life? This is intriguing and I like how you grab my attention with your masterful written review!
If you read this book, you would be astonished at the ending turned out. It's a shame you'd have to read it yourself to find out. It was pretty amazing. The heirloom only made for one part of the story. The rest were mind-blowing.
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Alex Reeves wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 03:03
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 22:37 I like the last sentence. Well, probably reading.😊 I could sense that I can relate to Johnny's character because I am still in self-discovery, however, the trepidation you mentioned bothers me because I am afraid I will fall into that trap. I am curious about the heirloom. Would Johnny find it, or rather makes Johnny unfulfilled in life? This is intriguing and I like how you grab my attention with your masterful written review!
If you read this book, you would be astonished at the ending turned out. It's a shame you'd have to read it yourself to find out. It was pretty amazing. The heirloom only made for one part of the story. The rest were mind-blowing.
Omg, I like to find it out. I'm curious what are those mind-blowing plots in the book.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A crime thriller with elements from other genres and deeper meanings that offer food for thought is certainly intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”