Review of Silent Rape

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Review of Silent Rape

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silent Rape" by Tony Scott, MD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Going to any obstetrics or gynecology appointment is usually a nervous encounter, as the tests and check-ups that need to be done are usually quite intimate and invasive. Now add on the possibility of not being comfortable with the way the appointment is going and feeling that the procedure is being handled incorrectly. Most people don’t know exactly how a check-up goes or how long it is supposed to take, but you do know when you are feeling that something is "off" and making you uncomfortable. In this book, "Silent Rape" the name of the book says exactly what this book is about. Silent rape occurs when someone who is supposed to be trusted and who makes you feel at ease during these intimate appointments abuses their authority and silently rapes their patients in the manner in which they examine them.

Dr. Faith is the new partner to Dr. Brian in his OB-GYN office. She is pregnant, recently graduated from residency, and has high-functioning autism. This means that although she is very smart, her brain sometimes processes things at a much slower rate. During one of her consultations, the patient confided in her that she had been sexually abused by a doctor in this very hospital during an examination. It is required by law to report anything like this, and Faith got it to the attention of the right authorities. She didn’t expect the huge fallout this report would generate. She received threats and was intimidated by the accused doctor and the administration of the hospital. Instead of trying to protect the patient, they were trying to sweep it under the rug. As the possibility of more victims arises, the pressure on her work and her personal life get too much.

This book opened my eyes to how the world works and, although something is required by law, that doesn’t mean that is how it is going to happen. I was surprised, but not really, at how easily something like this can happen and not get reported. There are even some instances where you might not even realize what happened until afterward, and then you can’t stop thinking about it. The enormity of the emotional trauma that something like this creates is not always grasped. It can even create headaches, extra stress, and paranoia. I am glad that Faith helped her patient understand the importance of counseling. This book explains the importance of following the correct procedures and reporting something that is wrong, even if it will cause a mountain to come down on you.

I enjoyed everything about this book. Tony Scott, MD, gave detailed descriptions, proper routines, and procedures that should be followed in similar circumstances, and he made a very relatable story to follow. You felt for the patients, the authorities, and Faith, who reported her discoveries. I could easily understand her own internal struggles between being a mom and also being able to help these women. During the book, when she was confronted by her husband about just leaving everything to the authorities and stepping back, she kept asking two questions: "How’s Roy Wells going to stop if someone doesn’t stop him?" and "If not me, then who?" Situations like these are complex and troubling, and people don’t always want to get involved. I understand that, but Faith’s questions ring true. If she doesn’t help the women who came to her and trusted her to help them, then who is going to put a stop to it? And what is stopping a sexual predator when speaking up doesn’t even stop him?

I enjoyed everything about this book, and it was very thought-provoking. It brought so many different emotions to me just by reading this that I can’t even imagine how I would feel and react if I were in the same situation. I rate Silent Rape by Tony Scott, MD 5 out of 5 stars. Although I found a few errors in the book, they didn’t take any reading pleasure away from me or affect the flow of the book. I would recommend this book to people who work with patients daily, to people who have been victims of sexual abuse, and also if you know of someone who went through something similar. By speaking up, you may not realize how you can help yourself and others who have gone through similar experiences.

Silent Rape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This is a difficult subject, and it sounds like the author addresses it in a way that can educate using a storyline that can be appreciated.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I would like to commend the author for this wonderful book. As you said, this book would be very suitable for people who deal with sexual abuse patients. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I enjoyed reading through the review and I'm interested in reading the whole book. Nice review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Patty Allread wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 14:09 This is a difficult subject, and it sounds like the author addresses it in a way that can educate using a storyline that can be appreciated.
This is definitely educative and opened my eyes to a lot of things. It wasn't as difficult a read as I thought it would be. It was worth the read!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Favyugwu wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 05:21 I enjoyed reading through the review and I'm interested in reading the whole book. Nice review.
Thank you so much for you reply!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Michael Valentine wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 01:55 I would like to commend the author for this wonderful book. As you said, this book would be very suitable for people who deal with sexual abuse patients. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Thank you for your reply, and the author definitely did a great job here.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Reawakening the magic volume 1 by Claire De Voyant

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

I really appreciate the author for trying to educate people with such a storyline. Nice Review.
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

"Silent rape occurs when someone who is supposed to be trusted and who makes you feel at ease during these intimate appointments abuses their authority" this your review inspires me.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Chinedum Chijioke wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 03:03 I really appreciate the author for trying to educate people with such a storyline. Nice Review.
Thank you!
Elizabeth Watson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-watson.html
Latest Review: Healing Your Attachment Wounds by Boadi Moore

Post by Elizabeth Watson »

This is a topic I have thought about myself, in those vulnerable positions at the gynecologist. Thank you for your review, and I will be checking this book out myself!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”