Review of The Glen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace Lee Rose
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Glen

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Glen" by Michele A Mclintock.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Glen is a book in the C/T/M/H genre by Michele A McLintock. The protagonist was Susan. The location called the Glen had a history of mystic occurrences whose origin the locals couldn't pinpoint. The two kinds of faeries that inhabited the area were the Slaugh and the Seelie.

The Glen began with the introduction of the Glen and its various inhabitants. Then Susan was brought to the limelight. She had an unusual childhood that was replete with mystic episodes. The truth was uncovered after they invited a priest to their home. The man who always poked her was the ghost of the former occupant. This caused the divorce of her parents, Linda and Mike Fulton. Susan later got married to Davie Irvine. Unfortunately, the marriage didn't last. She moved out with her daughter, Fiona. Fiona grew up, got married, and moved to New Zealand with her husband. This left Susie living alone. After an incident at the Glen with teenagers, rumors about her being a witch spread. Her neighbors mistreated her, and the faeries were the only beings that could mete out justice. She had to relocate, and with this came a series of events.

The story was told from several perspectives, all of which had a connection to the Glen. Some other characters included the Police Department that investigated the Glen to find out the root cause of the mysterious happenings there; Angie, a policewoman; John, the carrier of a generational curse not broken yet; and other characters.

It was relieving to find out that Susan's mother urged her to leave her abusive marriage to avoid getting beaten to death. She didn't compel her to stay back and save the marriage. There wasn't any saving what was already dead, and after she left, she didn't regret her decision. This serves as a reminder to readers that when a marriage isn't working, the sensible thing to do is for the union to be dissolved. Life comes first.

I was awed by the author's descriptive prowess. This was vividly evident from the very first chapter. I could effortlessly envision the scenarios depicted. I liked that each of the chapters had a title. This gave readers a glimpse of what the chapter centered on. I relished the foreign dialect spoken sometimes by the characters. It added life to the narrative and also made it more interesting. I had a good laugh at a part of the book. When Susie's neighbor's children hatefully killed her cat and threw the body in the Glen, the faeries saw the evil deed and decided to mete out justice. And part of how they did it was by returning the cat's body each time the boys disposed of it. It was humorous reading about their reactions each time they saw it.

It was soothing to see Susie tend to the wounded Slaugh man. The Slaugh faeries were known for their evil mindset, yet she didn't mind this. Their hatred emanated from the misconceptions they had about the human race.

The only aspect of the book I wasn't pleased with was the plenitude of errors, which indicates the book wasn't properly edited. And because of this, I'll rate it 4 out of 5 stars. Apart from the errors, I found the storyline captivating. There wasn't a dull moment, as there was adequate action. All the characters had substantial backstories.

I recommend this book to lovers of books with an eerie storyline. The book had a plethora of profanities, violence, and some sexual scenes, and as such, if you're repulsed by these, you might want to skip this book.

The Glen
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Great review Grace! I am not so sure about the funny part but it sure sounds scary to find a dead cat back at the door every time you bury it. Scared. But it sounds fit for the dark mystic theme lovers.
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

I actually love thrillers like this. you summarised the book very well. the story really got me intrigued. I would definitely give it a try. Thanks for the great review.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful review. I would love to commend the author for this master piece. Kodus
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful review. I would love to commend the author for this master piece. Kodus
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”