Review of The Power of Rain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Review of The Power of Rain

Post by Michael Valentine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Power of Rain" by Rosalie Rayburn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Power Of Rain is a book written by Rosalie Rayburn. This book follows the life of a young, efficient journalist who soon finds herself in the middle of her career and love. With a burning desire to deliver justice after being failed by the system, Digger persistently works at exposing the offenses others had gotten away with.

Elizabeth Doyle was nicknamed 'Digger' for her capabilities of tenaciously digging out information in her course of work as a reporter in the local newspaper of Las Vistas, The Courier. After a heavy rain that caused destruction in the land and the homes of the people fell, a conflict of sorts began. The book talks about the mayor, with his righteous belief of being the saviour of the people, and Raposa, a sly and cunning developer more concerned with making more money for himself. Digger finds herself in the middle of it all when the woman she likes begins to campaign against the road. Struggling to toe the line of professionalism and impartiality, Digger tries to report the events without bias. When her career life is threatened, though, Digger is forced to reevaluate the important things in life.

I loved watching the relationship between Maria and Digger develop without being overshadowed by sexual tension. The book follows them through their meeting, tentative friendship, and up until they acknowledge their attraction. I also liked the character development of all characters. All the characters, including the minor and major characters, were well-developed and, most time, in their own perspectives, which helped me understand the workings of their minds.

I would have liked, though, a more in-depth exposition of the job of a career journalist. At the end of the book, I still didn't know so much about being a journalist or what it was like to write stories for the public, which I had expected going into the book. Also, while I did like the building of the relationship between Digger and Maria, I would have also liked to see more of their interactions in the book and also in a more personal manner. Finally, even though the book cover stated 'A Digger Doyle mystery,' there was almost no form of mystery and very little suspense, which I did find disappointing.

I would give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed reading about Digger's life and her journey as a journalist trying to juggle a career and a love life, despite all the negative points mentioned above.

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes journalism. I would also recommend it to anyone that enjoys reading about the drama that occurs in politics.

The Power of Rain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I go well with dramas revolving around tragedy but I might consider reading this particular book. Nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”