Review of The Confession

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Review of The Confession

Post by Jay David Randall »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Confession" by Debra Ison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever felt guilty about a crime you didn't commit? Has your wise counsel outsmarted you before? If you have experienced the things mentioned above, then you would know how Matthew Brooks felt when Sylvia lost Matthew's confession to Ron Bennett's death.

The Confession by Debra Ison is a crime, action, and suspense fictional novel that depicts the tale of Matthew Brooks, a dentist who owned a practice outside of Chicago. Matthew was born into a wealthy home but developed the habit of gambling when he was divorced from his ex-wife. His father's will for his son was that he would only inherit his wealth when he quit gambling. Now that Matthew is bankrupt, in debt, and soon to lose his practice or firm, he is offered a job by his assistant Sylvia to kill her abusive husband and split his insurance. With his career at stake, he decided to do the job and wrote a confession for himself and Sylvia so no one would sell each other to the authorities. When it got to the day of Ron's tooth crowning, Matthew couldn't kill him but rather chickened out. Ron Bennett got home that day and died in his bathtub after an overdose of alcohol and hydrocodone prescribed by Dr. Matt. The authorities are investigating the death of Ron Bennett, and unfortunately for Dr. Matt and Sylvia, Sylvia misplaced her confession. What would they do with Detective Robertson on their case? Would the confession get into the wrong hands and land Matthew in an orange jumpsuit? Or would it get into the right hands and keep him out of jail? Find out more when you grab a copy of the novel The Confession by Debra Ison.

What I loved most about this novel were the plot and setting. The author gave Dr. Matt Brooks a view of two different lives: the life of a farm boy when he spent time on Carolyn's farm in Kentucky and the life of a city boy in Illinois as a dental practitioner and in Vegas as a gambler. I liked how the author portrayed Matthew; it made him feel genuine. He wasn't the perfect character without flaws, but he was a good character with flaws and with a mind for change. I admire how the novel started with a serene environment in Dr. Matt's practice just outside of Chicago. I do admire the effort employed by the author in employing suspense in the novel; I was left curious as to who might get a hold of the confession, but I couldn't find an answer to that until the very end of the story. The novel elicited an emotional response in me, as I was sad when Dr. Matt's first attempt to find the confession failed. Another exciting point I loved about this novel was the encounter Dr. Matt had with Carolyn Hodges in Las Vegas. It's funny that love can be found in the weirdest places, as they found each other at the gambling hall. Their love grew with time, and that made it feel real. I also love the fact that they both had each other's backs when the need arose.

What I disliked about this novel was how Sylvia gave authority to Matthew when she was the one who misplaced her confession; it belittled Dr. Matt in my opinion and made him the weak character, which I didn't like because I saw Dr. Matt as a smart and brave character who would make the right decision despite the pressure bestowed upon him. Apart from the above-mentioned, there was nothing that I disliked about the novel The Confession by Debra Ison; I enjoyed each chapter as it offered interesting content for the readers. There is no doubt Debra Ison is a creative and unique author/writer, and that was displayed in this novel.

I would give this novel a rating of 4 out of 5 stars because I enjoyed the novel, but I still believe more can be done to spice up the excitement in it. I would state that this novel has been professionally edited, as I encountered a few grammatical errors in my process of reading this novel.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this novel to lovers of action, cowboy, crime, and suspense fiction, as these are the themes employed in the novel. I would also recommend this novel to romance readers, as they would find the relationship between Dr. Matt and Carolyn Hodges appealing to read.

The Confession
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I find it odd that not only did Matthew agree to kill Sylvia's husband, but he put a confession in writing. :doh:
This sounds like a suspenseful crime fiction. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

I didn't expect a confession to be written for the deal because I thought they would destroy any evidence of their deal to avoid being caught. This book is an intriguing one, great review.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi Jay, thanks for the review; this sounds like a very interesting book. I'm going to add it to my bookshelf. Thanks again.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I wonder what awaits them, and my deepest curiosity is whether they'll end up in prison. Thanks for this review.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I’m curious to know how Matthew will get out of this situation. This will be more suitable for those who have an addiction to betting and gambling. I hope they learn from the story of Matthew.
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

While I am eager to know how Matthew will be vindicated of the crime he never committed, narrating how Ron died is a huge spoiler for me. I hope I am still able to read the book.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

I'm really curious to read this book and find out more myself. Your review is intriguing well done.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

I'm really curious to read this book and find out more myself. Your review is intriguing well done.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing but this novel seems quite complex in the other elements with the deal between Matt and Sylvia and some unexpected ramifications that lead to some twists. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”