Review of The Anchor is the Key

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Review of The Anchor is the Key

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Anchor is the Key" by Linda Anthony Hill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Celeste discovers a wooden boat washed ashore while taking a walk down the creek. When she picks up the boat, it gives her a vision of its owner. John arrives and thanks her for finding the boat. During their second encounter, he inquires about a lost anchor fashioned like a key, which Celeste denies finding. John's adamance toward finding the missing piece puts him in a skeptical position from Celeste's perspective. Judy Wells, a heartbroken lady haunted by the spirits of her parents, seeks assistance from Celeste, a local psychic. Celeste connects with her deceased mother before dismissing the spirit. Judy returns after the spirit has left, claiming that a shadow man is still pursuing her in her apartment. Celeste's attitude toward her job drives her to look into the event that is the root of Judy's suffering. John solicits Celeste's assistance by offering her a position to investigate the arcane activities at his office. What she discovers at the office is unexpected.

Readers will be drawn into a transcendental world of happenings as they read Linda Anthony Hill's book, The Anchor is the Key. As each chapter ends in a more complicated conundrum, this intriguing novel keeps readers guessing. Through Celeste's trances and visions, the author illustrates her basic opinions regarding the paranormal world. To solve covert mysteries that tug at her clients' hearts, Celeste uses her psychic abilities to converse with the dead. When her job is misunderstood as devil worship, she always strives to distinguish it from that, even when she gets pushback from hypocrites who also need her services. The protagonist of the book is a reclusive woman who only cares about her cat, and her work subsequently proves to be a source of enchantment.

One of my favorite aspects of the book—and one that makes me a lover of paranormal fiction—is how the author uses bizarre happenings to convey its tale. What grabs my attention about the book is how it is depicted in a fearsome yet exciting way. The story's premise is soundly laid out, and the author's writing style draws the reader into her world, making for an interesting and enjoyable read. 

The part of the book that I didn't enjoy was how several churches attempted to use a psychic reading to offer their members, setting one faith aside and promoting it as inferior to the other. One religion or belief appeared to have an advantage over another. Since the two views are different from one another, I didn't think it made much sense for Christians to use a psychic's services. Another claim made in the book is that only Celeste and Emma, her apprentice, have the ability to see and hear spirits, although the ghosts are capable of communicating with humans at will. When spirits are present in a room with Celeste, they will largely speak to her hearing unless they want to be heard by the second party. On occasion, John answers in accordance with what a spirit says, leaving readers perplexed as to whether John can genuinely hear spirits or if Celeste had previously delivered the message to him, which was not indicated. As a result, I'll give it four out of five stars.

The book is professionally edited. I found a few errors in the book. I'll recommend this book to readers who love crime and mystery thrillers.

The Anchor is the Key
View: on Bookshelves
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

This book sounds like one with supernatural beings and events. I have not read it but it is evident that the reviewer enjoyed the read. Thanks for an interesting review.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

I love paranormal books and I will definitely give this a read. I agree with you, it's contradicting for a religion to engage in psychic reading, it goes against what they stand for. Great review.
mayur99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mayur99 »

This book sounds like one with supernatural beings and events. I have not read it but it is evident that the reviewer enjoyed the read. Thanks for an interesting review.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Agbata Trust »

From my conclusion of this review I would say it is not a kind of book I enjoyed. It seems too ambiguous and out of my genre. I still appreciate your writing style. It made me keep reading the review.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

The book sounds interesting but if I'm asked to pick m favorite character I will pick Celeste because she was kind enough to assist Judy to drive away the spirit tormenting her. Good job.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

This is a mystery and fantasy book with a great storyline. How will Celeste solve John's case and what will be the outcome? Thank you for this lovely review.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

How did the most gave Celeste a vision of the boat owner? And how will she help John? The book sure have an interesting plot. Well done!!!
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

The books seems to contain elements of fantasy. Having a vision when having contact with an item is something supernatural. I would love to know more about this book. Thanks for your review.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I think this novel is filled with drama, mystery, and fantasy. Celeste is an interesting character to know about in this novel, I would love the journey set aside for her in this novel. Great review!
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This sounds like it will be a lot more interesting with the vision telling and psychic activities. I’m intrigued already. Well done!
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This storyline is one of a kind and will be an amazing read. Thank you for your review.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

The story line is unique, and I haven't seen a plot like it. It tells of supernatural powers and seems to be an interesting read. Thanks for a great review.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

The book is of a mystical arrangement. I won't say spirits are my thing so I don't think this book is for me. The review sounds interesting but lengthy. Thanks for writing a great piece. The author should do well to fix mistakes that gave the book this rating.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has an interesting concept and tell a unique story i look forward to reading it. Nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”