Review of To Death

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of To Death

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To Death" by Lorna Park.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Serial killer, Don Cutter, tries to kidnap, rape, torture, and murder Lauren. Lauren quickly turns the table on Don, and he finds himself at her mercy, tied up in a hidden room in her basement. Lauren wants to confide in Troy, her best friend, but she does not want him to get into trouble for helping her. She wants to hold Don captive to discover why he selected her as a victim and if he was responsible for her mother’s disappearance two years ago. Lauren does not trust the police because they tried to blame her for her mother’s disappearance because she had taken out a $750,000 life insurance policy. Was Lauren responsible for her mother’s disappearance? Was she a random victim of Don’s? How did she outfox and kidnap Don? Is Lauren a victim or a criminal? To learn the answers to these questions, read Lorna Park’s To Death: He figured she was no match for a serial killer. He figured wrong. Dead Wrong.

Lorna Park did an excellent job moving from the present day to two years before when Joanne went missing, which helped fully develop each character and ensured each role was fully defined. Lauren is portrayed as someone no one likes because of her sullen attitude and actions. At the same time, Lorna Park explains how people’s actions can be a means of survival and protecting oneself from perceived hurt or rejection. This book contains a lot of suspense with a stalker, a serial killer, a psychopath, sexual awareness, and much more. One important thing I took away from this story is how misconceptions can be made about someone through their appearance and actions. I adored the end of this book because it was not what I expected. This story made me think about the bushes in my yard. Do they provide me with privacy, or do they provide someone who wants to harm me a place to hide?

This book is full of mystery, drama, and suspense, which kept me reading but made it more disappointing to encounter the plethora of errors it contained. The lack of professional editing was the only negative I encountered; however, anyone in law enforcement may dislike how the detectives in this story are portrayed.

The only thing preventing this exciting book from getting a perfect score is the need for professional editing. The only suitable rating for this book is 4 out of 5 stars.

Mature readers who enjoy reading crime thrillers about pedophiles, stalkers, serial killers, psychopaths, sociopaths, and others of this nature, are the ones I recommend this book to. If you are offended by non-borderline profanity, I recommend you skip this book. If abuse, alcoholism, or self-medication are triggers for you, you may also want to avoid this book.

To Death
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Hannehr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hannehr »

Being kind and courageous isnt the same, courage is associate with fear, as well as for kindness. People shouldnt jump into conclusions because of gut feeling, its sad that the main character had to go through such horrifying things, to be simple, choose not to be evil in this cruel world
Edwardsjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsjay.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edwardsjay »

I am curious to know the fate of Don in the hands of Lauren and who is guilty of her mother's disappearance. Lovely review, well done.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

The tables really turned in this book and I can’t wait to read more about Lauren. Nice review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The unusual idea of the chosen victim turning the tables and capturing her kidnapper is intriguing. The ramifications of that event and Lauren's backstory make me even more curious about this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”