Review of Fatal Field Trip

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Review of Fatal Field Trip

Post by Judy O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fatal Field Trip" by Marcia Dove.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lately, I discovered that I had become partial to reading murder mysteries. Although I'm not too fond of the concept of the murders, the suspense and restlessness incurred until the murderer is unearthed seem to thrill me. In the book Fatal Field Trip by Marcia Dove, Maggie McManus moves to River Town, Florida, for a fresh start after her mother's death. She picked up a job as a hospitality instructor at Panhandle State University (PSU). In one of her projects with the students, some work at the River Town Hotel and Conference Center. What would begin as a simple project would turn into something else.

After one of their sessions, Maggie discovers the dead body of Hannah, the marketing representative of the hotel. She had been murdered, as evident in the stab wounds on her body. Not long after this, Sara, a boutique owner, is murdered by poisoning. Everyone is thrown into a state of quagmire over how the murders occurred. Although the detectives have taken up the case, Maggie and Trip, the hotel's general manager, begin to pick at crumbs, which leads to more discoveries. Simultaneously, Maggie and Trip begin to feel chemistry and build a relationship. Who committed these murders? And what lies ahead for Maggie and Trip? Read Marcia Dove's Fatal Field Trip for more.

This book was unique; it had me spellbound from beginning to end. I was caught in the loop of suspense aimed at discovering the person behind the murders. The book was a challenging mix of action, suspense, and romance. The budding relationship between Maggie and Trip seemed to be the highlight of this story. I witnessed a friendship grow from platonic to romantic, which truly makes the best affair. I'm sad Sara had to die as she did; I initially thought she would do more in the story. Another thing I enjoyed was the way Maggie settled into the community. I love the concept of small communities because one is never truly alone there. The character development was wonderfully portrayed; there were a lot of characters, but the author did his best to build their profiles. I'm sure no one would complain about the influx of characters. The dialogue was easy to follow and wonderfully represented.

On the aspect of dislikes, I felt the plot was too shallow. A murder mystery is supposed to contain action and maintain suspense; however, at a point, this book became a romance novel, and not much attention was paid to discovering the murderers. In all, it was a good read. I only encountered a single error throughout the book. I believe this book was professionally edited. The plot itself was a simple one, albeit an interesting one. My favorite character would be Trip; his calmness and rationality despite the terrible events were commendable.

Due to its bland plot, I'm deducting a star and rating this book 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to audiences interested in fiction, action, romance, and murder mysteries.

Fatal Field Trip
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Whoa!

This book will really be an incredible one filled with suspense. Who would eventually be the killer?. I might consider reading the book to find out. Thanks for the honest review.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

I'm totally intrigued by the concept of solving two murders in this book. I wonder who did it. I'm eager to find out. Thanks for the amazing review.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Always in for any murder case, who killed who and why they did it. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Charles Babbage »

Murder mysteries are always wonderful for novels. I really got to understand the concept behind the book, though I'd not read the book.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Bones In The Alley by Viterose E Van Huis

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

It is a suspense filled book and obviously a nice one by the author. Thanks for the review.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

I agree with the points you've raised from this boon it is indeed thrilling to read murder thriller stories as it fun to wait to discover the killer.
Hai-tesuka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hai-tesuka »

I want to know who is the killer.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”