Review of Ruby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Review of Ruby

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ruby" by Cathy Coburn.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you believe that people can be born evil, even children? There isn’t anything that led to it; they just are, and they feel no remorse whatsoever for the trauma they cause. Killing animals from a young age is one of the first serious clues. But that is just where it starts, and seldom where it ends. Ruby (aged eight), her brother Bobby (aged ten), and their mom live next door to the Cummings family. Patricia had never liked the little girl, for no other reason than feeling very uncomfortable around her, and she had a gut feeling regarding her. One morning, when she had just gotten back from buying groceries, she was frozen right where she stood when she heard a very eerie "Please don’t kill me" coming from next door. Everything in her body told her to run in the opposite direction, but knowing there was a mom and two small children next door, she had to go look...

I haven’t ever been in a situation like in this book. The closest I got was just a very manipulative young child that knew how to turn on the charm and look innocent as an angel. I have no idea how I would cope or react if I were in a situation like in this book. The author did an amazing job with her descriptions and details. I was hooked right from the start, as the book begins with an eerie and gruesome scene that sets the whole book in motion. She never dropped the ball, and there were no slow parts in this book. I can easily imagine a movie being made of this book, and it will also be a huge hit. All of the characters were perfectly developed, and their roles were perfectly played. There was no one who didn’t fit or was unnecessary.

I loved everything about the book. I only found three small errors in the whole book. I was so stuck in the flow of this book, I almost missed them! This book has definitely been professionally edited. The character of Ruby was the ultimate winner in this book. My feet were swept out from under me, and her dialogue brought that feeling that Patricia had toward her to life! At first, I was a bit caught off guard, but as the plot thickened, I also got that uncomfortable feeling toward this child. Evil is a real thing, and it can be in people. Trust your instincts even when other people can’t see or feel the same things you are. That sixth sense we have in ourselves is our internal buffer against dangers – listen to it!

As mentioned above, I loved everything about this book, and I feel proud to rate it a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. Ruby by Cathy Coburn is exceptional, and I have never before read a book quite like this. The thrill factor is there from the start, and it just keeps building. I am definitely going on a hunt for all of her books! Even though this book mainly revolved around Ruby, there was another scene in the book that stood out to me. It was a very short scene regarding Marion, but it was so heartbreaking for me, and I couldn’t help but feel for this lady and her loneliness. This book just takes you in and keeps you hanging on every word.

I would recommend this book to mature adults who enjoy thrillers and murder mysteries. If you are squeamish, this book is definitely not for you at all! If you appreciate the attention to detail, the amazing and not-so-common plot, and just want to be swept away by emotions, this book is for you! I just have to give a major well done to the author.

Ruby
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hansome Menekara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansome-menekara.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Hansome Menekara »

Wow. I would really enjoy this book. The author seems to have done a great job.
Your review is spot on!
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Just the cover of this book is already intriguing and presents the book to be interesting. I love thriller books. Why won't I find the book interesting?. Beautiful review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Favyugwu wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 16:08 Just the cover of this book is already intriguing and presents the book to be interesting. I love thriller books. Why won't I find the book interesting?. Beautiful review.
Thanks so much! I really enjoyed this book immensely. It is definitely dark and it shouldn't be so intriguing, but it really is :D
Gwen Johnson
Favorite Book: Two Brothers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwen-johnson.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Wow, your review hooked me in. Really want to read this book now but also apprehensive to try. Want to find out what happened to Marion as well. Thankyou.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Gwen Johnson wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 07:15 Wow, your review hooked me in. Really want to read this book now but also apprehensive to try. Want to find out what happened to Marion as well. Thankyou.
It has a dark twist, but it is amazingly written! And let me know when you read it and get to the part of Marion, if it also affected you* Thank you for your reply!
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

The cover alone gives so much volume to this book, it’s fascinating and scary. This book will be an excellent read for lovers of horror stories. Nice review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Hilarybbe wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 06:31 The cover alone gives so much volume to this book, it’s fascinating and scary. This book will be an excellent read for lovers of horror stories. Nice review.
Thanks so much and I agree with you completely on the cover! They definitely chose the correct cover.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A child looking like an angel while actually being a psycho-killer makes for an intriguing thriller, also considering that anyone seeing beyond the child's deception will not be believed by 99.99% of other people. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”