Review of The Confession

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Confession

Post by Azuka Jessica »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Confession" by Debra Ison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

How would you feel if you were about to be convicted of a crime you did not commit, but the majority of the evidence points to you? I am sure that everyone has been a victim of this situation. The Confession is a fictional novel of 28 chapters and 280 pages by Debra Ison. The book features crime, investigation, love, plot, relationships, and drama.

Matt Brooks is a wealthy man who is about to go bankrupt as a result of excessive gambling. Some of his workers know this fact, and his secretary, Sylvia, approaches him with a proposal. Sylvia tells Matt to help her kill her abusive husband, and in return, she will help him out of his bankrupt state with the money she will get at her husband’s demise. Matt agrees to the proposal. However, to be careful, he tells Sylvia they will each write and exchange a confession letter. Meanwhile, Matt goes on one of his gambling trips to Vegas and meets Carolyn, with whom he falls in love. Does Matt go through with the plan? How does this all connect? Read this book to find out.

I will give this book 4 out of 5 stars. The author arranged the book in chronological order, which made it easy to read and understand. However, it also made the book easygoing. The book contains some twists and unexpected events, but they are not thrilling enough for a crime or investigative thriller. I feel the book would have been more interesting with more drama and events that would keep readers on the edge of their seats. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book. I loved its epic ending. No one would see that coming.

I loved and admired the love and understanding between Matt and Carolyn. I expected everything to go wrong between them, but I was awed. Indeed, it takes someone who has been in a particular situation to understand another. The book was also educational. It was fascinating to learn about the role horses play in helping people and how they help emotionally unstable children. The book had excellent characterization. The characters were well introduced, explained, and developed. There was no flat character, and it improved the quality of the book. The book was also exceptionally well edited, as I found no errors while reading.

I recommend this book to lovers of mild crime thrillers and investigative novels. Young adults are also welcome to read this book, as it contains minor profanity, violence, and sexual scenes.

The Confession
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

It's really a heartbroken one for someone to be convicted for a crime he didn't commit. This book will be an interesting book to read. Nice review.
3mperor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mperor.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by 3mperor »

Sometimes in life, one is found is drastic and complex cases with all evidence of accusation pointed to you. That’s such a messed up case. Nice review, I’m intrigued enough to know the full story
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

I love a book filled with drama and this definitely seems like my kind of book. It looks like it has interesting characters and storyline. Your review makes me want to try out this book. Well done.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Azuka Jessica wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 12:14
I loved its epic ending. No one would see that coming.
This makes me want to grab this book asap to find out how it ends. Thanks for the honest review. It's got me excited. 👍
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like an intriguing tale that will leave one turning pages. I’m curious to know if Matt we follow along with the murder plan. Thanks for the great review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

It’s awful being accused of a crime one didn’t commit. It will kill that person emotional and mental state. How was Matt able to get free? And he seriously needs help too.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

It is quite heart wrenching to be accused of a crime you did not commit. I wonder how they found out that Matt Brook was innocent afterall. Nice review.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

There was suspense created by the review you wrote about this book. I genuinely want to know if the main character went along with the plan to kill his secretary's husband.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I am curious about Matt capability to carry out the plan with Sylvia. The fact that Sylvia is willing to kill her husband demonstrates that she doesn't love her husband at all.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

From the book title, it is clear that this book would be quite interesting. Being convicted for a crime you did not commit is something no one should be made to pass through. I would love to see how this all plays out for Matt.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

Wow... A lot seems to be going on with Matt. I really want to find out how things go down, if Matt will accept the proposal and where the book's title comes to play. Amazing review.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

I love books with twists. You also created that suspense in your review and it got my interest. Nice review.
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Charles Babbage »

Being accused of a crime you did not commit is something that no one would like to be involved in. I don't think there's anyone that can escape the situation.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

The opening of your review arrested my interest. If the book is about crime and investigations, count me in. Well done with your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”