Review of The Maenad's God

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of The Maenad's God

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Maenad's God" by Karen Michalson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Maenad's God by Karen Michalson is a book that weaves mythology, mystery, crime, and love into a fascinating read.

The story opens with the life of Pete Morrow, a cop with the FBI who spends his days working on different kinds of cases and trying not to inhale asbestos dust. His boss, Fearless, sends him to do a simple task: warn a mob family off an army base. That simple task spirals into a murder mystery that draws him into a life he's only ever read about and brings him a step closer to finding love.

The first thing that caught my attention was the book's cover. Even without knowing the whole story, it created intrigue. The picture on the book's cover gave me an idea of what I would encounter in the story. It would make a reader want to pick up the book.

This book had one of the shortest chapters I'd ever seen. The first chapter was only 38 words. At one point, I wondered why it was even a chapter. I only added it to one of the unique aspects of the book.

The story shows Pete at work — his attitude to work and people in general. His words are spiced with sarcasm and some jokes. We get more insights into Pete's life and relationship with his boss and co-workers. Pete loves poetry and literature, and his journey to the army base brings poetry and fictional stories to life.

The author highlights the actions of powerful and fame-hungry people and how far they can go to get what they want. The story has plot points that include cults, religion, politics, and what people in power can do. Karen Michalson presents this complex plot in a way that shows her prowess. Regardless of the depth of the plot, it has elements of thriller dipped in secrets that are perfectly executed.

The Maenad's God will appeal to readers who enjoy books with mythical creatures, crime, and LGBTQ+ content. It's not the kind of book I'll call an easy read, especially for folks with prejudice against the LGBTQ+ community. However, in the right hands, it will be fascinating and enjoyable.

This book is professionally edited. However, there were minor errors here and there. But some of these errors seem like the author's stylistic choice (which is why I listed them under uncounted errors for the author to note). Apart from the errors, there's nothing I dislike. Therefore, I rate The Maenad's God 5 out of 5 stars.

The Maenad's God
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

The cover is truthfully intriguing but I won't read this book because of the LGBTQ+ content. Anyway, thank you for an honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel with a murder mystery that reveals a lot of different elements in a sophisticated plot. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”