Review of til death do us

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of til death do us

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "til death do us" by Vincient Mann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After over 20 years of marriage, Derrick Smith and his wife, Angela, seek advice from a marriage counselor after their marriage loses its spark. Derrick is a professional truck driver and makes $100,000 annually. Angela is a real estate broker who works long hours and has a six-figure income. They seldom see each other except on weekends. Derrick has a secret $100,000 gambling debt he cannot pay because his bank account does not contain enough money. He wants to avoid asking Angela for the money even though he knows her bank account has more than enough to pay off his debt. She is very protective of her hard-earned money, and he is unsure if she will give him the money to save his life. Derrick starts getting threatening phone calls, notices he is being followed at work, and his tire is tampered with. He knows he must do something soon because things will only worsen. Angela also has a secret Derrick knows nothing about. What is her secret? Does Derrick ask Angela to pay his gambling debt? Is Angela responsible for her husband’s gambling debt? Read Til Death Do Us… by Vincient Mann to see if Derrick or her money is more important to Angela.

Vincient Mann keeps the action moving in this story of greed, love, secrets, lies, regrets, murder, and corruption. Each character in this book is fully developed, and they may have been my next-door neighbor. At times, I could sympathize with Derrick even though it was his fault that he owed the bookies so much money and did not have enough sense to stop gambling after continually losing. Angela is a complex character in that she fears losing everything she worked for and wants her marriage to survive, but simultaneously, she comes across as selfish. My favorite quote in this book is, “Every person, no matter how bad, has some good in them and every good person has some bad in them.”

The book’s ending left me dissatisfied and with a lot of questions. I hope the author plans on writing a sequel to answer my questions, but there was no indication of this happening. This book lacks professional editing. A professional editor would have found many errors and formatting issues. Throughout the book, the author is inconsistent in the placement of dialogue punctuation. Sometimes it is before the quotation mark, and other times it is after.

After much consideration, I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. My enjoyment in reading this humorous book and the positive aspects outweighed the negative aspects, so I did not deduct any more stars.

If you enjoy reading humorous crime thrillers involving gambling, sex, murder, and violence, I recommend you read this book. Readers who enjoy reading about Christians who pray and attend church will enjoy this book more than others. This book is more appropriate for mature readers because of the non-borderline profanity content.

til death do us
View: on Bookshelves
Last edited by tortle0o0 on 20 Mar 2023, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This book has since been edited and the errors noted have been corrected. (3/20/23)
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

A troubled marriage at the center of a thriller can be intriguing and I hope the religious element is not strong enough to turn me off. Most of all, I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”