Review of Mortal Conspiracy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of Mortal Conspiracy

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mortal Conspiracy" by Noel C Scidmore MD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When you see a doctor, you expect to get the best medical care possible and have your insurance pay for it. In Mortal Conspiracy by Noel C Scidmore, M.D., you will see how doctors, politicians, and others play a role in denying you health care. Butch Kennedy had a heart attack while working at the Nissan plant, and his doctor decided bypass surgery was too risky. Tracy Kirkpatrick and her husband have been desperately trying to have children and are devastated when she has to have a hysterectomy when her doctor discovers she has cancer. These are just two cases you will read about in this crime thriller, where an insurance company called AmericaHealth does everything it can to increase profits regardless of what happens to the patient. How do they do this without the cooperation of doctors? Do doctors care more about profits than they do their patients? Can insurance companies legally prevent people from getting medical and psychiatric care?

Dr. Scidmore does an excellent job incorporating romance and mystery into this crime thriller. Throughout this book, I could easily visualize the overworked doctors and medical staff, who worked long hours without sleep or food, thanks to the descriptive nature of the author’s writing. Some of the medical stories were funny. For example, while performing a cardiac exam on a fashion model, one doctor forgot to put the stethoscope earpieces in his ears because he was too distracted by her features. There was also humor in the form of a marshmallow fight, a morgue prank, and other activities. The morgue prank was my favorite, but you will need to grab a copy of this book to see what happened. I enjoyed how the author shows the importance of family to someone’s medical care. I commend the author for making the medical terminology in this book easy to understand.

Although I was appalled at some of the events in this book, they were necessary to the plot and not flaws. I did not encounter anything in the book that I disliked. The plot flowed smoothly between each of the fully developed characters and did not leave me wanting anything at the end of the book.

I gladly give this fascinating book 5 out of 5 stars. With only a handful of errors and a plot that kept my interest, there was no reason to deduct any stars from this enjoyable book.

I recommend this book to adult Christian readers who enjoy reading romance, mystery, and crime thriller books. Those offended by stories that contain church services, sermons, and praying may want to avoid this book. This book is not for you if you find gory content or non-borderline profanity offensive. I also advise readers planning a medical procedure not to read this book beforehand because it may cause them unnecessary stress.

Mortal Conspiracy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

A great review I would say. It sounds like an intriguing read that explores the darker side of the medical industry. I appreciate how you noted the author's skill in incorporating romance and mystery into the plot, as well as their ability to make the medical terminology easy to understand. I would love to get my hands on this book.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

Your first paragraph had me thinking this was a nonfiction book. The storyline is very interesting. I hope to read this book one day.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Truly sad because we pay for health insurance with the hope that when the time comes and we needed medical care we'll get it with no hassles. Thanks for the review
Milli Karee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milli-karee.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Milli Karee »

I feel like grabbing a copy already. This review makes me so curious. I want to know how the author incorporated health care into a story.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

The novel might be heavy on the religious element for my taste but the thriller centered around greedy insurance companies is interesting even if it's a system that sometimes is difficult to understand for someone outside the USA. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”