Review of The Poe Consequence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shanesha Sammerson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Review of The Poe Consequence

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Poe Consequence" by Keith Steinbaum.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Keith Steinbaum's The Poe Consequence is a psychological thriller that follows the story of Warren, Kevin's twin brother, who becomes obsessed with Edgar Allan Poe's works. After a traumatic meeting with a psychic who uses tarot cards to depict his horrific death, he tells his brother in vivid and disturbing detail how he will suffer and murder his killers if he is killed, based on readings from Poe's books.

When he is caught in the crossfire of two gang wars, the Alvarado Street Diablos and the North Rampart Lobos, he makes a promise to his son as he takes his last breath to always keep him safe. Every time a gang member kills another gang member, they die in the same gruesome manner that Warren envisioned. Is the killer acting out the plots of Poe's stories in retaliation for Warren's death, or is this a supernatural occurrence? Meanwhile, police are looking into the series of bizarre and gruesome murders that appear to be linked to Warren's death, and his brother could be a suspect.

This book kept me interested from beginning to end. The only drawback was that I had finished reading it. I didn't want the story to end because it was so interesting and captivating. The book depicted gang members in a more humanistic light, allowing the reader to see the struggles that drove them to become merciless killers. As a result, the reader can empathize with the characters and see them from various perspectives. This in no way excuses gang members for killing and robbing people, but it portrays them as human beings who were hurt and developed a tough exterior to protect their hearts from the harsh hand they were dealt.

Victoria, the sister of one of the gang members who took Warren's son Seth under her wing after his father's murder, was my favorite character. She, too, had a difficult life, but she was able to overcome all odds and make it out of the hood. I found her compassion and commitment to those she loved and let into her heart admirable.

The novel delves into themes such as eternal love, obsession, and the ability of literature to shape our perceptions of reality. The Poe Consequence keeps readers on the edge of their seats until the shocking finale, thanks to Seth's descent into his battle of prejudice against all Mexicans as a result of his father's murder and Kevin's desperate attempts to solve the case before more people die. With only a few minor errors indicating professional editing and amazing page-turning plots, I rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to adults who enjoy dark and exciting novels. You will not be disappointed if you read this book.

The Poe Consequence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”