Review of 2keep His Commandments

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Love on the Horizon by Emory Dillon

Review of 2keep His Commandments

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "2keep His Commandments" by Lawrence Parks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Not every Christian professes to be a saint. That much was revealed by this book, 2keep His Commandments. Lawrence Parks relates the story of Pastor Miller, a revered man of God. A man of such stature is supposed to be upright as a well-respected clergyman in his town and beyond. That was not the case, as Reverend Miller also had a side hustle that was not very Christ-like.

Miller, as the pastor of a number of churches, was assisted by his junior pastors in their separate districts to be the distributors to his little cabal. This set off a chain of events that eventually drew the attention of the authorities. Will Miller commit even more horrible things to save his skin, or will he seek salvation from God? To find out, read this book.

Miller, as the book underlines, was a very proud man. I liked how he elevated himself to the point where he believed everything that could happen would happen at his command. He had even forgotten about the forces that had placed him there. I was thrilled to read about his decisions, which were usually selfish and illogical. As a minister, he entirely overlooked the fact that a haughty spirit precedes a fall. Notwithstanding the opposition, Miller did everything he could to keep his position as leader of both the church and his underground organization. This added to the book's enjoyment as I read what flimsy lies he might concoct on the spur of the moment.

A couple of investigators were looking into Reverend Miller. These men were persistent and diligent in their search. That was extremely beneficial to them. They put pressure on Miller and his associates, causing them to make mistakes. Even though he succeeded in having these lawmen run in circles at times, it added to the book's enjoyment, and I enjoyed seeing them work.

One thing I didn't like about this book was how full it was of typos. The errors were perplexing since a minor adjustment or omission in a sentence might affect its entire meaning, causing the entire story to take a different route. That had a significant impact on my enjoyment of the book. Another concern was that the detectives' instincts in probing the entire operation were extremely accurate. The majority of the time, their only leads were hunches that ended up being correct. This appeared unrealistic, but fortunately it had little impact on the story.

This was a well-written novel with an intriguing narrative. Notwithstanding the drawbacks I highlighted earlier, I loved reading it. As a result, I'm awarding this book four out of five stars. The story was brief, entertaining, and kept the main idea throughout. Christians who enjoy stories about people turning from their bad ways would enjoy this one. Even non-Christians who appreciate a good crime and mystery novel and don't mind a little religious symbolism will enjoy this book. Readers should be aware that there is a lot of murder and other crime in it, so it will be more suitable for adults.

2keep His Commandments
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Charles Ashinze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-ashinze.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Charles Ashinze »

It's intriguing how people live a life full of deceit and use religion as a cover. This book explores that theme and I am interested in seeing how things play out. Unfortunately, I am disappointed by the numerous errors.
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

It's shameful of Miller. Sadly, things like this happen in society. I think think this is an interesting book I’d like to ass to my shelf. Nice review!
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

The most important thing to me is that Ps. Miller knows God's Word. He thinks he is being clever when actually, God wins either way. God's Word and truth is in Miller's heart and Ps. Miller is still spreading the word of God although he isn't living it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Righteous people easily trick themselves into doing even hideous things using religion as their justification. I wonder what Miller will do but the many errors in the book are discouraging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”