Review of Waking Up Alive

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Waking Up Alive

Post by Proof Readar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waking Up Alive" by Jaylynn Wylie.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A rock star, the one every young folk takes as an idol, has just been announced dead in his swimming pool. The death is not just going to cause a break in the continuation of the soul-suiting music by the rock icon; it will also open the door to the actions of some connected individuals, some of whom need to make money off it and some of whom tend to fight and prevent any seemingly false information from being published. Precisely, the climax of the plot's conflict is reached when a guy named Roddy Copeland, whose physical appearance proves him as Tell's replica, shows up again to continue claiming to have been ripped off of his stardom and belongings as the supposed rock star. He is claiming he's the real Tell Garrison and not the one that everybody believed and saw dead. Hence, despondency and trepidation grabbed Shay Bennett, Tell's fiance, as she would have to stop Roddy from claiming he's the real Tell. However, for Shay to get rid of the bad emotion as a result of the bigger problems that she believes loom over everything Tell left, including her, she needs to discover the secrets that Tell has been trying hard to bury before he died. Will she get to know about this secret, or will she continue to fight blindly?

Waking Up Alive: A Rock & Roll Mystery by Jaylynn Wylie is a fictional story that explores the mysterious happenings in the personal and professional lives of music stars and icons. It seeks to resolve the conflict that arises as a result of how Tell continues to hide one secret after another from everything he's got, including his lover, Shay, and his global fans.

This book indeed presents the raw happenings in the entertainment industry, including the joy and bitterness that come with being a public figure. I enjoyed the perspective from which the author tells the story, which is the first-person perspective of each major character. I was able to read into the heart and mind of each character and feel their joy and emotional outpouring due to their life regrets. It shows that the author has really captured how the world of rock stars looks, as the book involves their philosophy about love, sex, family, and God.

Another thing I love in the book is the arrangement of events the author used. The arrangement allows for suspense; as I read, I became curious to know what was next for the plot's conflict to reach a resolution. Also, the author is able to present the tone and personality of each character distinctively; this makes the reading more relatable and enjoyable for me. I was especially thrilled by how the author presented the nature of Blair Clark, a lady attorney who once handled Roddy's case. For example, when Jack visits her to get some information about the truth value of Roddy's claims, she radiates an intelligent and stern stance, which is always rare with female folks. Generally, I love each character's contribution to the plot; all were presented as significantly contributing to the plot, including others that showed up along the story aside from the main characters.

On the literary side, the book is professionally edited, as I could only find two instances of grammar errors in it. There are no mince words, as every sentence counts toward the plot's comprehension. All in all, I have nothing to dislike about the book. So, I'll rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

I'd recommend the book to lovers of realistic fiction. Specifically, if you want to be shown the world of musical artists, including their source of happiness and their common source of sorrow, you will find what you are looking for in the book. However, if you don't like to come across vulgar words and sexual dialogues, you should give this book a second thought before picking it up. It contains many vulgar statements, references to drug abuse, and dialogues referencing licentious sexual acts.

Waking Up Alive
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

In reality, people take advantage of the death of popular people while ignoring the true pain many people will be feeling. I think this book touches on reality.
Jeff Kanda
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

I have woken up alive today and it is a blessing. I think I should read this book. Thanks for the review!
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

This book sounds very interesting! Great review !
Sweet Sweet 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sweet Sweet 1 »

Amazing review!! I am a huge music fan and usually read books about my favorite musicians. This will be the first fiction I'll be reading about a life of a musician. Looking forward to it!
Marilyn Weber
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marilyn-weber.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Marilyn Weber »

Intriguing title! This sounds like quite an interesting concept. The review makes me want to check out this book.
Ogidor Chinasa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogidor-chinasa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ogidor Chinasa »

This novel has so many twist and plot in it. This book will be great start for me. Awesome review here
Christopher Cawley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-cawley.html
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer

Post by Christopher Cawley »

What a great review, I’m definitely going to give this book a read when I get some time. Thank you!
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer
Edna Bridge
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edna-bridge.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Edna Bridge »

In this review is it supposed to be there are "no [mincec] words"?
kevi000

Post by kevi000 »

I read this book, and I can only agree with the review. Confirm everything from word to word...
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

Christopher Cawley wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 08:36 What a great review, I’m definitely going to give this book a read when I get some time. Thank you!
I wished you entertaining and informative reading experience as you read.
Ayabonga27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ayabonga27 »

Wow, this review has me hooked! The plot sounds intense, and I can't wait to dive into the world of rock stars and their secrets. The fact that the story is told from different perspectives is also a plus for me. I love being able to get into each character's head and understand their motivations. The fact that the book is professionally edited and well-written is also a huge bonus. I don't mind a little bit of vulgarity in my books, so that won't be a problem for me. Overall, this review has convinced me to add "Waking Up Alive: A Rock & Roll Mystery" to my reading list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Sounds riveting! I definitely want to see where this story goes! Is this going to reveal the dark side of the music industry? Will I be shocked with more information? Great review! I am intrigued!
John Obasanjo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-obasanjo.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by John Obasanjo »

I love to read into be life and the world of great influential personalities. It seems this book details the world in a comprehensive manner.
mansiahir44
Currently Reading:

Post by mansiahir44 »

It was really great when reading it, I never thought to read something like books or novel because i would rather prefer movies but this book made me to read upto the end.

Love it

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”