Review of The Turncoat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Review of The Turncoat

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Turncoat" by Renney Senn.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jed Haiger is a racist, and he resents his co-foreman, Howard Clayton, who is a Black man. Jed is envious of Howard's skills. On that last day of finalizing their shipment on a project in which Bill Harris was the mill manager, Jed plotted to cause Howard's downfall, which resulted in Howard not only being sabotaged but also causing his death.

Jed recounts his horrific childhood. His mother was a victim of abuse by his father. Jed's life and that of his sister changed after they witnessed their parents and a Black stranger all die of gunshot wounds. This was a result of their mother's extramarital affairs. Jed thought about his past and how it has affected his present life. He packed his things and left his house, and went to an abandoned shack where he witnessed his bizarre physical change.

The Turncoat by Renney Senn is a mysterious book with a lot of positive aspects. It deals with how Jed mysteriously transforms into what he dreads the most and begins to understand his new person as he struggles to survive in a society that lacks tolerance. The plot of this book is well-written and interesting, from Jed's hatred and intolerance towards Black people to his bizarre physical change and how he seeks to be a better person after all he oversaw. I learned a lot of this from this book, especially from how Jed always criticized Black people until he became Bob Brown and realized how accommodating the friends he made were towards him. Also, I loved how the author was able to use the mysterious transformation of Jed to Bob Brown to tell the interesting story of how his mentality changed.

Another interesting thing about this book is the use of well-developed characters, and I can easily admit that my favorite character is Anna, as she plays the role of a loving sibling who helps Brown overcome his situation without judging him. I also loved the emotional facet of this novel. I was anxious to know what would happen next and sad when Anna lost her means of livelihood due to the klansmen's attack and happy when they were able to conquer. I learned how the legal system still prevailed despite some corrupt officials. The book was also exceptionally well-edited.

This book was well-written, and I learned a lot from it, especially from how Jed was able to understand a Black man from his own experiences. I equally enjoyed this book, as I was eager to find out what would happen on the next page. Therefore I will be rating this book 5 out of 5 stars. I disliked nothing about the book; I have no reason to give it a lower rating.

I recommend this book to lovers of historical nonfiction and also to anyone who wants to learn about the klan association and how it failed.

The Turncoat
View: on Bookshelves
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

There's no excuse for bad behavior. People tend to blame their mistakes on maybe their traumatic experiences. Nonetheless, I'm happy Jed transformed. This is a well-written review.
:D
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Jed's tragic backstory seems to be used to address many issues: social, psychological, and more in this historical fiction. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”