Review of Certain Cure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace Lee Rose
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Certain Cure

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Certain Cure" by Jennifer Valoppi.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Certain Cure: Where Science Meets Religion is a book in the C/T/M/H genre by Jennifer Valoppi. The novel centers on the correlation between religion and science. It detailed what religion had to say about occurrences in the last days and technologies that would sprout. Some characters decided to go against the nature of humans to live and die because they wanted immortality. But would the price they'll invariably pay be worth it? 

Archibald Claiborne, a retired physician, was discovered dead after two cloaked men visited him. An investigation was launched to determine who his assailants were. Robert Morgan was invited to be part of the investigation because of his accurate instincts. On the other hand, Helen Cummings hosts a show that showcases top happenings in the country, one of which was the crying statue of the Virgin Mary. Her mother, Claire, who had advanced cancer, was administered a nanochip by a mysterious doctor from China, Dr. Viviee. The nanochip eliminated all cancer cells and also rejuvenated other cells, which made her look younger. To boost her ratings, Helene invited Dr. Viviee on her show to tell the country all about the technology he used, nanotechnology. He announced to everyone that the nanochip eliminates cancer cells and offers the hope of immortality. Later, the cases of others in which the technology had successfully worked were brought to light. With this, almost everyone wanted to get a shot. Is the promise of immortality too good to be true? Will the murderers of Claiborne be found? 

The level of suspense in the book was highly riveting. At the beginning of the book, the two men who visited Archibald talked about a sort of plan and what Archibald's greed caused. And that was it. The issue wasn't brought up until much later in the book. With everyone saying that Archibald was an upright man, I found it hard to predict what he had gotten himself into. This immersed me more in the book because I was eager to discover the secret he held. I liked how the brewing relationship between Robert and Helene developed. It was realistic. It moved gradually, and it never felt rushed or forced, as they had adequate time to decide if that was what they wanted. I found the emotion between them genuine, and I sincerely wished them the best. Additionally, their camaraderie lightened the heightened tension in the narrative.

I found the book highly educational. I learned some things about the medical profession, which satisfied me. An example was what the symbol in medicine signified and the reason why doctors often considered themselves gods. I must say I was gripped by the author's great and creative storytelling capability. She made the storyline complex. Some parts had deep meanings and were only explained later in the book. When readers think they've successfully predicted how the events will turn out, they'll be surprised at the unexpected turn the scenario will take. I liked the epilogue incorporated into the book. This served to seal up loopholes that might have been left bare, and as such, readers discovered the fate of both the antagonists and protagonists.

The only confusing parts I encountered were the scenes where some characters talked about quantum physics and complex calculations. However, I didn't let this bother me much, as it played a vital role in developing the storyline. I encountered some errors, and this indicates the book was professionally edited. I'll rate it five out of five stars because it was an outstanding book.

I recommend this book to readers who are fans of novels with themes of science fiction and religion intertwined. Readers who have knowledge of medicine will find this book engaging, as they'll relate well to the storyline. 

Certain Cure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

This sounds like an interesting read trying to find the meeting of science and religion. I always tend to think that science complements religion by providing proof of some religious beliefs. However, the idea of planting a nanochip is scary to me, and I think Elon Musk has the same idea? I wouldn't allow such a thing to be implanted into my brain even if that was to cause immortality. That aspect of the book still makes it even more interesting and enticing nevertheless. Thank you for your wonderful review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Mixing science and religion is tricky, even more in a story concerning immortality. I'm curious to see how this story handles these themes. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Educational and suspenseful. This book is right up my alley.
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: Healing Wounds of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson
fav_author_id: 2719
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Sia_young »

Thriller with a mad plot twist is what pretty much every reader looks for! I was convinced to read this book the moment you mentioned how the story has many plot twists that keeps you wondering. Good job on the review!
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY JENNIFER VALOPPI WHICH TALKS ABOUT THE CORRELATION BETWEEN RELIGION AND SCIENCE.
A BOOK FOR FANS OF SCIENCE FICTION AND RELIGION WHICH ARE ENGLISHED. GOOD REVIEW
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Eyeing a gripping read where the lines of science and religion blur? 'Certain Cure: Where Science Meets Religion' by Jennifer Valoppi is a riveting exploration of immortality, a murder mystery and a tender romance. With deep meanings, unpredictable turns and educational insights, it's a must-read for science fiction and religious theme enthusiasts. 🧪🔎📚 Congratulations on being BOTD!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting mystery fiction novel highlighting three generations in a family, cancer, a unique cure and the threat and danger it attracts. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A science and religion based book "Certain Cure" by Jennifer Valoppi, which centers on the correlation between religion and science. This one appears to be a thought provoking book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
payal thakker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-payal-thakker.html
Latest Review: Inner Trek by Mohan Ranga Rao

Post by payal thakker »

This a captivating review. It would lure me to read the entire book soon. I like to find out suspenses. Also, the interrelationship of science and religion makes me curious to know about immortality. Being a medical student, I may relate to the terms used to explain the story. Well done.
Mikespice Mike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikespice-mike.html
Latest Review: Words of Encouragement by Robert Brantley

Post by Mikespice Mike »

This is amazing review. It covers the everything reader may want to know about the book
Imperfection is beauty madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Between the suspense, the opportunity to learn, and the correlation between religion and science, this one sounds like an exciting read!
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mois-s-alc-ntara-ayre.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Moisés Alcántara Ayre »

The combination of religion and science makes this book a fascinating read. After reading a few pages in the book, I felt like not wanting to put the book down.
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mois-s-alc-ntara-ayre.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Moisés Alcántara Ayre »

payal thakker wrote: 27 Jul 2023, 07:03 This a captivating review. It would lure me to read the entire book soon. I like to find out suspenses. Also, the interrelationship of science and religion makes me curious to know about immortality. Being a medical student, I may relate to the terms used to explain the story. Well done.
The idea if immortality through nanochips is novel and makes the plot somewhat 'believable.'

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”