Review of Cee in the Mirror

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Cee in the Mirror

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cee in the Mirror" by Greg Carson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In 1982, fourteen-year-old Cara Corrigan started having nightmares and hallucinations after she became angry with her father for making the family move to Denver, Colorado, from Texas. Through an antique mirror in her bedroom, Cara believes she communicates with 15-year-old Britta Schumann in Stuttgart, Germany, who is hiding from the Nazis during World War II in 1943. Cara tells Britta about being harassed and threatened by Albert Hobbins, Andrea Wicks, and Luke Glover; her brother, Danny's betrayal; and how everyone thinks she has inherited her grandmother's mental illness. Britta tells Cara about her fear of being captured by the Gestapo. As time passes, Cara realizes that Britta's situation is much worse than hers, and Britta needs her help. Is Britta a figment of Cara's imagination? Is the antique mirror magical? Is Cara insane? Read Cee in the Mirror by Greg Carson to learn Cara's story.

Greg Carson's writing style and character development skills made me feel a part of this story about family secrets of love, adultery, sacrifices, and lies. I could understand why some characters thought they were doing the right thing to protect their loved ones by keeping secrets, even though it was worse when the truth finally came out. The author clearly demonstrates how bitterness can prevent people from seeing the beauty around them. The pea-green walls, worn gold shag carpet, and faded chairs in the psychologist's office were easy to picture. I appreciate that Greg Carson focused on the biblical scripture about laying your life down for others. My favorite quote in this book was, "Faith and hope are the ground that brings forth courage."

Although the handwritten diary entries made the story more realistic, the script was difficult to read. I recommend that the author use a less flourishing typeset for this text. However, this is a personal preference that not all readers will consider a flaw. For this reason, it has no impact on my rating for this book.

With only one missing period in this book, there is no reason for me to give this book anything less than a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed reading this professionally edited book because it had a fast-paced and smooth-flowing plot.

Readers who enjoy reading crime thrillers that include romance, paranormal activities, and historical fiction are the ones I recommend this book to. I caution readers that this book contains non-borderline profanity and depicts the atrocities committed against the Jewish population during World War II. Some characters are religious, and others are agnostic, making this book appropriate for all religious and non-religious believers.

Cee in the Mirror
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

Crime thrillers and romance are two of my favorite genres, so this sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Thank you for the informative review!
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

This is a good and well written review. You captured all the important components of the book and I would definitely love to try out this book. Well done.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

This review is well detailed and captivating. It contains the important information about the book. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think Cara and Britta are one; in the mirror, it was just a hallucination- my wild guess. I'm intrigued by this story. Thank you Bertha for your outstanding review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing but this novel includes various interesting elements in a story with secrets and revelations. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”