Review of You're Gone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Review of You're Gone

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You're Gone" by J.S.Morton.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Arthur Norman lost his only love and life partner. As a result of the tragic event, he became anxious and depressed. Arthur nursed his grief in the safety of his home. He ultimately comes out and reconnects with the outside world. Arthur is once again a son, a brother, a friend, and a neighbor. Arthur also went back to doing his passion: killing. Only his spouse knows he is a serial killer. Without a confidant, Arthur is alone with his secret and has no one to talk to. As Arthur recovers, it appears he will uncover even more secrets.

You’re Gone by J.S. Morton is a character study that delves into human psychology, popular culture, and society. Dark humor, murder, and thriller elements combine to create an entertaining and thought-provoking story. The plot revolves around a man who has a secret life and his journey to cope with losing his only confidant. The storytelling is in the first person, which is appropriate to the double life of the main character. Readers learn about the thoughts, motivations, and reasons behind the actions of the leading character. The audience becomes the new confidant as Arthur shares the story. Because they have access to his innermost thoughts, readers feel more connected to him. Likewise, readers see other characters and situations through the eyes of the protagonist. What he knows and his mental state influence his perceptions. He may be paranoid and tend to overreact in certain situations. It adds to the mystery and intrigue.

The story investigates the impact of popular culture and society on human behavior. People tend to project an outward image to conform to societal norms and standards. They can only be themselves and follow their passions by living a double life. In some cases, conformity breeds insecurities and a fear of rejection. As a result, people try to find refuge in their private lives, finding it difficult to reveal their true selves. It has an impact on building connections with others. The foundations of relationships are trust and respect. The plot explores various relationships to show this. Arthur gradually reveals information about himself and other circumstances throughout the story. It demonstrates that developing trust takes time. Because the readers become new confidants, he takes time to share his thoughts. It reflects apprehension about rejection, especially from new acquaintances. This method also keeps readers interested as they wait for further revelations. Until the very end, the story is full of surprises. I am always curious about how he will get out of sticky situations. It was surprising how things turned out. My favorite aspect was the unpredictability combined with the dark humor.

Furthermore, the story explores coping with grief, anxiety, and depression. It emphasizes the importance of having a trusted person to talk to or a support group to help with emotional and mental processing. There are also comments about social media and consumerism. Also worth mentioning is that it plays on the concept of serial killers acting as vigilantes. This book covers a wide range of fascinating topics.

I have no complaints about this book, but there are some observations. The setting is the United Kingdom, and there are popular British cultural references. They add authenticity and context, making it more relatable to those familiar with the culture. For those unfamiliar with the culture, it is an opportunity to learn but breaks reading momentum for some research. Similarly, the principal character uses many curse words. They help distinguish his hidden personality, but I believe it could be less. These are personal preferences that have no impact on reading enjoyment.

The language is casual, with words primarily in British English. There are a few editing issues, but swear words are many. The intimate scenes are not graphic. There are some violent scenes. Sensitive readers should proceed with caution. It is appropriate for a mature audience due to the content. Readers keen on dark humor, mysteries, and thrillers will enjoy the story. Those interested in human psychology and mental health should consider this work.

The clever blending of mystery, suspense, dark humor, and compelling insights make this an engaging read. There is a deft balance of entertainment and information to investigate socially relevant issues. Because of these factors, I rate it five out of five.

You're Gone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Tamfu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Favour Tamfu »

This review gives an insight to the book making one more anxious to dive in . Thank you
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Oh wow, this book seems to cover a lot of difference topics. Plus, a serial killer.. Ah! Liked it. Great review
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I initially felt sorry for Arthur but now I don't know anymore. He kills other people's loved ones, does he deserve to have his loved ones alive? Thanks for the review!
Christopher Cawley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-cawley.html
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer

Post by Christopher Cawley »

I really enjoyed the insight I got from reading your review, I'll definitely be adding this to my to-read list!
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

There's a lot of food for thought in this psychological mystery centered around a serial killer who lost the love of his life in a story that digs into various sides of humanity, including the darkest ones. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”