Review of Deadly Triangle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Review of Deadly Triangle

Post by Brian Ruguru »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deadly Triangle" by Charles Glenn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Steve Hartshorn had a seemingly promising career in sports until his injury. His thriving career came to a sudden halt! Forced to put food on the table using other means, he became a private investigator. Working closely with his best friend and a New Mexico cop, Abe Schaeffer, some investigative jobs may get quite dangerous. One day, while driving, Hartshorn's car is blown by a homemade explosive.

Meanwhile, Steve is hired to investigate a Dominican-based gringo dealing drugs named Iguana. In a twist of events, Abe visits Hartshorn in the Dominican Republic with a bullet injury on the shoulder connected to the Iguana Steve is investigating. Things get out of hand, and Steve and Abe must look over their shoulder.

There was a sense of humor during dialogues, especially when long compadres, Steve and Abe, got together. The easiness between the two men was refreshing, causing a reader to long for such camaraderie. When either of the guys needed help, they'd run to one another. Their friendship was heartfelt.

The author's acquaintance with the Dominican Republic's cuisines and geography was notable. Either Charles Glenn is well versed with the country or conducted thorough research. I loved the nation's warm beaches and amiable people. The comprehensive descriptions nudged me to take a vacation to the country someday.

I encountered several aspects I disliked. One, I noted additional information that had me wondering how it was related to the plot. Some childhood events had no connection to the story, which had me pondering whether it was the author's move to lengthen the book. Further, the novel necessitated thorough scrutiny and a keen following of characters. Otherwise, a reader would get lost because they were numerous.

In addition, the cliffhanging conclusion was a bummer! It was up to me to imagine what happened to Steve, Marie, and their final decision on a critical matter. Also, I noted a repetition of guilt of a former love decision made by Hartshorn. With no intention to include a spoiler, Steve's constant regret of Abe and Marie being married had me concluding Hartshorn thought the couple was not a good fit. These reasons compel me to rate Deadly Triangle by Charles Glenn 3 out of 5 stars.

The work was professionally edited, given the few grammatical flaws I noted. The change in location from the Dominican Republic to the United States was valuable enough to learn a few differences in cultures, foods, poverty levels, and even crime rates. Steve's unapologetic thirst for rum as early as morning hours was hilarious. In conclusion, I recommend the book to lovers of drug-fueled novels.

Deadly Triangle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to have some interesting elements but the flaws you pointed out make me thing that it needs some more work. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”