Review of Dark Agendas of Power

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phoebe Felix
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-felix.html
Latest Review: Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn

Review of Dark Agendas of Power

Post by Phoebe Felix »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Agendas of Power" by Kevin Glenn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn is a crime fiction story set in a world after the pandemic that began in 2019. This book draws many facts from actual events.

This book opens in America. Some people, known as technocrats, want to rule the world by taking control of its economy and disguising it as equal opportunities and safety for everyone in exchange for their choice. Lieutenant Amit Rubin and Seargent Cory Bryson belong to a group that opposes them called the "Resistance-seven." The technocrats form a union called the Global Economic Union (G.E.U) for all states and countries that believe in what they offer and create new laws that must be enforced. With the help of some people, Bryson and Amit infiltrate one of G.E.U's meetings. That leads to many events that threaten their lives, the secrecy on which they operate, and everything they believe. With text bombs from an anonymous source sharing supposed truths and the media pushing contrary propaganda, many people need to know to whom to listen. Both sides say the other is a liar. Who will they believe?

Dark Agendas of Power gave off a dystopian feel and had a lot of politics in it. The politics could have overshadowed the main story. But the author presented the political aspect of the narrative so that the details given were necessary, leaving out details that might bore the reader.

One thing I liked about this book was how it was so close to reality. The author drew facts from the pandemic, mass shootings, and history to communicate his points. It made me think: "this could happen if we let it." Also, it made the dystopian aspect of the story unique. While other books tell dystopian tales set in the next century or so, Dark Agendas of Power showed the possibility of our world already in a dystopian state. It was an essential reality check; it could also be for other readers.

Another thing I liked about this book was the philosophy that drove Bryson. It showed that working with a moral compass was important no matter the sweetness of lies. Readers would relate to this, as they might have been in situations where they were to decide what was right and what wasn't.

There was nothing I disliked in this book. However, the editing needed to be done better than what I saw. As a result of the number of errors, I'd rate Dark Agendas of Power 4 out of 5 stars. I'd recommend it to lovers of crime fiction, thrillers, and narratives with elements of politics.

Dark Agendas of Power
View: on Bookshelves
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your insightful review.I appreciate your point of view about this crime fiction story that takes place in a dystopian world after the pandemic. It shows how politics can be dangerous and almost overshadow the main story, but the author makes it easy to understand by presenting it in a way that is not boring. I was intrigued by the fact that the author drew facts from real-life events, making it feel more plausible. It's great to see that philosophy was an essential aspect of the story, and I agree that Bryson's moral compass was a driving force. Thank you for pointing out that the editing could be done better, but I'm glad to see that it didn't affect the overall quality of the book. Your review helped me understand the important themes of Dark Agendas of Power, and thanks to you, I plan to read this book shortly.
Desola Orimoloye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dessyyyy.html
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer

Post by Desola Orimoloye »

Thank you for sharing your review. I must say, the book cover is absolutely striking with the depiction of the Statue of Liberty. It immediately caught my eye and drew me in. The fact that the story also opens in America only adds to the intrigue and sets the tone for a captivating read.
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

Desola Orimoloye wrote: 08 May 2023, 15:18 Thank you for sharing your review. I must say, the book cover is absolutely striking with the depiction of the Statue of Liberty. It immediately caught my eye and drew me in. The fact that the story also opens in America only adds to the intrigue and sets the tone for a captivating read.
The color tones on the book cover play a part in capturing the attention of the audience.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

Politics is rarely a place where morality is found. Bryson is a good example to follow.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A thriller that includes strong political, economic, and social elements that project the current situation in our society seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”