Review of Quadrangle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Quadrangle

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Quadrangle" by Shea Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you know that humans possess an innate and intangible energy that plays a very vital role in our well-being? Well, we all have unique energy signatures that influence our thoughts and actions, and what's more, when this energy melds with external energy, peculiar and unexplainable things happen. This is quite an intriguing and complex subject, and I was glad to pick a book that explored it. This book, Quadrangle, by Shea Rose, narrates the events and happenings in QuietStone, a fantastic yet mysterious townhome on the outskirts of New York.

Shea Rose tells the stories of three women, Gwen, Sylvia, and Carlotta, exploring their experiences and drawing connections between the events in their lives. QuietStone is a beautiful and relatively peaceful place, with two hundred house units divided into groups of four. The action starts with Sylvia's new neighbors, a couple, getting loud and aggressive far too often. She raises concerns about this to her friends, who are unable to offer a solution. Finally, their deepest fears come to life when this couple's actions turn ugly. This would be the first in a series of mysterious events, visits, deaths, and conversations that needed solutions. Will they figure out their connections with each other and know how to utilize them? Will anyone unearth the answers to the mysteries? You can answer these questions by picking this book to read.

I had a great experience reading this book. The author laid an excellent foundation for her writing. She gave detailed descriptions and analyses of what QuietStone looked like. These descriptions and the captivating cover page made it easier to imagine and live the experience of this magical place. I ended up engrossed and entirely invested in the events and lives of QuietStone residents. This was partly because their lives were exciting but also because of the author's excellent character and plot development. Shea Rose introduced each character well, giving enough background information about them and creating enough conflict around them to make their stories exciting. The author indeed expertly developed the plot. The pace was right, and Rose ensured she built enough suspense before unleashing plot-changing scenes in the book.

I also loved that the storyline wasn't predictable. The author covered several day-to-day issues in the book but still managed to surprise the reader on occasion. For example, Carlotta's actions halfway into the book were startling, unprecedented, and difficult to predict. Additionally, the author covers many themes and topics in the book. She discusses intermarriage, divorce, domestic violence, drug abuse, and murder. I loved how she handled the case of interracial marriage through Gwen's discussions with Sandra. Another honorary mention would be parenthood through Genning's experiences. The author also used simple and easily comprehensible language. The only negative in the book was the number of errors I noticed.

I, therefore, give it a rating of four out of five stars. It is well-written and delivered in detail. It left me yearning for more. I recommend it to lovers of crime thrillers who are intrigued about the phenomenon of life force, the energy within. However, I must warn of the strong language that makes it suitable only for mature audiences.

Quadrangle
View: on Bookshelves
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

A look at the book cover might make one think it's a nonfiction type. Anyway, the storyline sounds interesting; I like that it's a suspenseful story and it's not predictable. Would love to unravel the mystery of Sylvia's new neighbors and the strange events that begin happening after their arrival. Great review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I'm intrigued by 'energy signatures'. In know we are made of energy but I never thought our energies are as unique as our DNA. interesting.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Blackstenius wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 09:30 A look at the book cover might make one think it's a nonfiction type. Anyway, the storyline sounds interesting; I like that it's a suspenseful story and it's not predictable. Would love to unravel the mystery of Sylvia's new neighbors and the strange events that begin happening after their arrival. Great review.
I agree that the cover makes it look like a non-fiction, but once you read the book you realize how beautiful the place is as depicted on the cover. Thank you for your comment.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:

Post by Jane Ogwang »

ElinaT wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 03:21 I'm intrigued by 'energy signatures'. In know we are made of energy but I never thought our energies are as unique as our DNA. interesting.
It's actually a very intriguing topic, you could read more about it. Thanks for passing by.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The setting and characters seem like good foundations for a crime thriller though I have to say that the idea of innate energy seems more like science fiction or fantasy. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”