Review of Field Of Shadows.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of Field Of Shadows.

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Field Of Shadows." by James McKenna.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Field of Shadows by James McKenna is about a young, capable Liam Fitzgerald, who is intent on retiring from his work at the OSR (Office of Strategic Research), an intelligence agency in the military. His superior, Selby, tries and fails to convince Liam to join his special team in hunting down a drug cartel that aims at distributing many tons of heroin across the country and overseas. Liam reluctantly accepts the offer to work with them, but not for them, after being promised a no-violence policy. He is assigned an investigative relationship with a young Portia Anderson. Portia is an investigative journalist following the same case as Liam but with direct connections to Hugo and De Quincy, the major players in the drug trafficking pipeline. Liam and Portia grow beyond this assignment and inevitably form a bond while they brave the lies, murder, and deception they face from both the agency Liam worked with and the drug lords they battled. Along the way, they make many frenemies and acquaintances, battling for who keeps the load of the drug money Liam retrieved from Lodge 22 while Portia, Ms. Brady, the Selby team, and the Fitzgeralds try to escape Lodge 22 and De Quincy’s grasp.

The book brought the most authentic perspective to the crime-thriller genre involving drugs and drug trafficking, with the absurd amount of deception in this story. I could never at any point tell the true intentions of certain characters, and that made the story even more exhilarating; the plot twists came on very strongly. I have to commend the author for brilliantly writing the character of Megan Brady; she was definitely the star of the book. She made every scene worth it.

My dislikes could be classed as subjective but are worthy of note. The portrayal of Liam as a righteous and soulful character seemed a bit overdone. Liam seemed a little too perfect for the book, never making a flaw or overstepping. The show of vulnerability with Portia was barely enough to make him feel like a genuinely complete character. Liam was righteous to a fault, and this made him less relatable. Though the book was professionally edited, I found some avoidable errors in it.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. Some readers may not appreciate how lightly certain themes were discussed in this book, especially sexual assault, and how it seemed to be used throughout the book, although completely by the characters themselves. It could be triggering to some, and even those that wouldn’t be triggered would find Ms. Brady’s story with Meecham a bit disturbing. Other than this, the plot made up for whatever else the book lacked. Field of Shadows is incredibly engaging, and I enjoyed every bit of it. The reason I removed a star is a combination of the negative points in this paragraph and the ones in the third paragraph.

Field of Shadows would be a steal of a read for fans of crime thrillers and mafia-related stories. Anyone who enjoys a good murder mystery should also pick this book up. The author’s pacing was perfect, and the climax couldn’t have been more satisfying; it was a great read.

Field Of Shadows.
View: on Bookshelves
powell Rumsfeld
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by powell Rumsfeld »

The story captures the attention of many crime audience since the plot twist is way too good for one to even try and resist the captivity of the story.The creativity of the author is mind blowing.
Giovana Arévalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giovana-ar-valo.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Giovana Arévalo »

This seems like a great read. I like crime thrillers and mafia-related novels, so this is something I would definitely pick.

Thank you for your review!
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Lies, betrayal, money, illegal activities make for an intriguing story. I might just read this one.
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

Mafia stories are the absolute best. Lovers of such stories should check this one out. Great review.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Crime thrillers present intense storylines. I'll check this out when I find time between reviews. You did a great job. Well done.
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

A book that brings the most authentic perspective to the crime-thriller genre involving drugs and drug trafficking should a great read for lovers of crime fiction stories.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the issues you pointed out, this seems like an engaging crime thriller about mafia activities that can certainly appeal to the fans of this genre. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”