Review of The Master Plan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review of The Master Plan

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Master Plan" by Raymond A. Hult.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In The Master Plan by Raymond A. Hult, Samuel P. Donahue claimed he was robbed while transporting $1,501,025.67 worth of bank receipts. However, FBI Special Agents David Hilton and Stephen A. Cook believed he masterminded the robbery. Sam would have to convince these agents, against their firm conviction, that he was innocent and had no part in the robbery. Was he innocent? Find out in this intriguing crime-mystery thriller.

The story's beginning was a perfect way to introduce readers to the mystery and suspense that would riddle the book. The introduction and first chapter laid a solid foundation for the narrative. The main characters (Sam and the FBI agents) entered the fray immediately. It didn't take time for me to warm up to them and see things from each character's perspective.

The author showcases the struggle and grueling difficult life of federal agents in their quest to investigate and solve crimes. Readers will see their dedication to solving crimes, even if it means spending years, time, energy, and resources. The author also shows their respect for the law, the lengths they are willing to go to, and their determination to follow due process regardless of their initial convictions.

Keeping track of characters took a lot of work, as characters constantly alternated between first names and surnames throughout the book. This constant alternation of characters' names caused me to lose track many times, as I had to reread or go back to a previous chapter to verify if I was reading about a new character or if it was an already existing character. Also, the story had a lot of time skips, jumping from days to months, making it challenging to flow with the timing of events seamlessly.

I, however, recommend this book to readers who enjoy stories with the thrill and rush that come with a heist. As a bonus, readers will be treated to intense intrigue and suspense. You won't drop this book until you reach the end — that's a guarantee. The page count of under 170 makes it easy to read in a couple of hours if there are no breaks.

The book is professionally edited, as there are only a few errors. However, the challenge with character names' alternation and time skips will make me take a star from the rating. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. I look forward to reading other books by this author; he is a fantastic writer.

The Master Plan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bianca Morano
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

This sounds like a very interesting story. Thanks for a great review. This made me add this book on my reading list.
Giovana Arévalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giovana-ar-valo.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Giovana Arévalo »

How exciting! I'm really intrigued and curious to know if Samuel is innocent.

Unfortunately, some authors are so immersed in their writing and, of course, know every single detail of their books that they forget that readers don't, so they miss that it is supposed to make sense to us. That doesn't stop their brilliant talent for storytelling, though.

Great review, thank you!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

It's good that the novel is short considering the issue with its characters but I understand being annoyed when keeping track of them becomes difficult because of how they're called. Otherwise, this seems like an engaging thriller. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: To Turn a Million by Keith L. Robinson

Post by Rob Carr »

Sounds like an interesting plot. It's a shame it was hard to follow at times with the names of the characters changing.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”