Review of Mind Hackers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Review of Mind Hackers

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mind Hackers" by Edmond Dougherty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mind Hackers by Edmond Dougherty is a sci-fi thriller that follows the adventures of tech genius Cole Cheetum, owner of WildTech. Cole is an idiosyncratic boss, and it shows in the type of employees he hires, which ranges from a fortune teller to a former cop turned private security. One thing Cole loves doing is inventing and building things while keeping a relaxed work environment. The news of a suicide jumper who suddenly decides against jumping piques Cole’s interest, and the latter decides to investigate this further. His investigation leads him to meet Jenna, and he helps her realise that she can influence people to do whatever she wants. He invites Jenna to work for him to learn more about her powers and also to help him demystify some strange events that have been happening in his company.

Meanwhile, strange things keep happening around the world. In Ohio, a stay-at-home mum straps a bomb to her chest and blows up a bank after dropping her kids off at school, while in San Francisco, a Silicon Valley tech executive hires a truck and ploughs into runners in a marathon, massacring the lot of them. Are these events connected? What do they have to do with Cole and Jenna?

This book made a pleasant read. It was a slow burner. I was very intrigued and curious to find out why seemingly regular people would commit heinous crimes out of the blue. The author did a good job explaining this without leaving plot holes.

However, this book also had some negative aspects. Some dialogues were muddled up, which made it difficult to ascertain when one character had stopped speaking and when another had begun. After a strong beginning, the book got boring as the author tried to introduce characters such as Cole and Jenna. I believe the author spent too much time doing this, especially the technical aspects of Cole’s work at WildTech. Most of the time, I couldn’t understand the technical jargon involved, and I even started to dread reading anything about Cole and his company because it got very boring.

Another issue I didn’t like was the fact that it had footnotes; I found this very distracting and weird to see in a novel. I wish the author had explained the contents of the footnotes in the body of work, even if briefly. The cover also didn’t do anything for the book and seemed too amateurish. Despite these issues, the book picked up after a while, making me eager to see how it would end. As a result, I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. I’ll recommend it to sci-fi and thriller lovers who enjoy slow burners.

Mind Hackers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Bianca Morano
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

Getting your mind hack sounds a lot like of a computer problem. This is more like a c-t-h-m in genre, however it must be using advanced scientific technology. It was such a scary phenomenon to happen.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

Your review is amazing and I appreciate your honesty about its drawbacks; however, I dislike unnecessarily lengthy descriptions of a scene or character, plus too much unknown technical jargon, so for this one, I'll have to pass.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Giovana Arévalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giovana-ar-valo.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Giovana Arévalo »

It looks like the premise has a lot of potential, but the execution was a little bit flawed. It would have been a perfect read for me in another circumstance that isn't this.

Thank you for your review!
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I wouldn't want Jenna anywhere near me or my business. What if she hacks and manipulates my mind?
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

The title alone just got my attention. I’m sure I’ll love the book. Thanks for your honest review.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Cole seems like an interesting chap to associate himself with 'gifted' individuals. Maybe that's his gift. And could it be the end of the world for people to randomly execute mass murders like that? Sounds like an interesting book. Great review.
Priyanka Priyanka 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Priyanka Priyanka 6 »

Cole seems like a business oriented mind person. I guess Jenna's character will be interesting to read. The title of the book got me into this. I guess it will be a good book to read. Thanks for your honest review.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This book sounds interesting. I've read one with a similar premise and similar occurrences and that had to do not so much with mind hacking as with blackmail. It was interesting too.
I agree with you about the cover and the unnecessary technical stuff although I have ways of tuning those out when I encounter them in novels ;) .
As long as it has a good ending, I'd love to read this.
Thanks for the amazing review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for the great review of Mind Hackers! The slow burn and plot twists sound intriguing. I'm curious to find out how the seemingly unrelated events tie into the story. The technical aspects of Cole's work might be challenging, but it seems worth it in the end. Thanks for the recommendation!
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

ElinaT wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 03:07 I wouldn't want Jenna anywhere near me or my business. What if she hacks and manipulates my mind?
Lol! I know, right?!
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Edit_or wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 04:42 The title alone just got my attention. I’m sure I’ll love the book. Thanks for your honest review.
You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it!
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

zainherb wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 04:15 This book sounds interesting. I've read one with a similar premise and similar occurrences and that had to do not so much with mind hacking as with blackmail. It was interesting too.
I agree with you about the cover and the unnecessary technical stuff although I have ways of tuning those out when I encounter them in novels ;) .
As long as it has a good ending, I'd love to read this.
Thanks for the amazing review.
You're welcome, zainherb. I hope you enjoy it!
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Chris Agbara wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 16:56 Thank you for the great review of Mind Hackers! The slow burn and plot twists sound intriguing. I'm curious to find out how the seemingly unrelated events tie into the story. The technical aspects of Cole's work might be challenging, but it seems worth it in the end. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thanks Chris. I hope you enjoy it!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I guess you need to know some technical jargon to follow all the parts of the plot. Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems like an interesting thriller with science fiction elements. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”