Review of Breakage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Breakage

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Breakage" by David-Michael Harding.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donnie Chariot is a big shot in New York City. He does what a hundred computers and a hundred people cannot do. When it comes to horse race betting, he is an absolute genius. He calls the game for the big gamblers in the city and beyond, and he has built an empire with this deft and unusual skill. When he looks at the stakes, he can tell which horse will win the race, and he just manipulates the numbers.

After a diagnosis of early-onset Alzheimer's, he started failing. His predictions were no longer accurate, and the big guys started losing lots of money. He must keep up the good work because a lot depends on it. Mr. Donnie then stages the kidnapping of his granddaughter so that his daughter will be forced to work with him in order to keep the bad guys happy. Meanwhile, his daughter Donna is dealing with a lot of trauma due to the kind of life she was exposed to at a young age. She hates her father and does not want to have anything to do with him. Now she must look for a way to manipulate the numbers, just like her father, in order to save her daughter, but then there's more at stake right now, and more bad guys are involved in the kidnapping. What will Donna Chariot do to save her child? Will she ever forgive her father for staging her daughter's kidnapping? Will the kidnapping escalate into something more sinister? Grab a copy of Breakage by David-Michael Harding to find out more.

Breakage is a crime and thriller novel set in a mafia world. Mr. Donnie Chariot has been a source of help and also a terror to many for years. I enjoyed the storyline because of how well the author told it. The plot was unique and suspenseful, and the gore and brutality made it a tough read. I enjoyed the conversations between Donnie Chariot and Frank. Sometimes, I disliked Donna for being so hasty and impatient with her dad, like when he drove to her house to tell her about his illness. If only she had listened to him, maybe he wouldn't have been forced to take such a drastic measure.

The book was exceptionally well edited, because I didn't find any errors. The author's narrative was very captivating and suspenseful. I would have loved to see a more in-depth description of the characters, however.

Breakage by David-Michael Harding gets a rating of 5 out of 5 stars because the plot and the progression of the story were interesting, seamless, and suspenseful.

I will recommend the book to readers who enjoy crime, thrillers, and suspense books. The book contains a good amount of profanity and violence, so a mature audience is advised.

Breakage
View: on Bookshelves
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

Interesting!!! I can only imagine the Donnie's desperacy to have kidnapped his own daughter. Wonderful review well-done
Mutango Samakayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutango-samakayi.html
Latest Review: De facto Pathfinder by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Mutango Samakayi »

Fathers are the most misunderstood human beings, but it is not without cause I reckon. Even though Donna was impatient and did not hear her father out, I sincerely justify her actions because I think Donnie was being selfish. If he was sick, why not just retire? Anyway, it seems like a really interesting book and I would definitely read it now because I have questions of my own.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This book has a strong storyline, I agree. It sounds like Donnie didn't bother to nurture his relationship with his daughter until he needed her for business purposes, and arranging for his granddaughter to be kidnapped is unforgivable.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Kidnapping your own granddaughter just to keep your business running is awful.
The book sounds so intriguing and I like the storyline.
I hope Donna was able to save her daughter eventually.
Nice review!
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

I agree that the plot of this book is compelling. It appears that Donnie neglected to build a relationship with his daughter until he needed her for professional reasons, and it is unacceptable for him to have planned for his granddaughter to be abducted. Great review. 
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

Kidnapping your granddaughter for your self-interest is one thing I find surprising. Parents and grandparents tend to protect their children and grandchildren, but the case of Mr. Donnie was not like that. Great review.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Wow, I sincerely appreciate your effort and best efforts. However this is not my kind of book, but your review has piqued my interest. Good job on this review.
Tari egai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tari-egai.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Tari egai »

Imagine how desperate Donnie must av been for him to kidnap his own grand daughter , he is a terrible and selfish father , interesting plot though , great review
Natasha Kim
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

This book is an enthralling suspense-filled crime thriller. It has an impeccable storyline. Why would someone go to the length of kidnapping your granddaughter for selfish purposes? Wanna know if the child was saved. A must-read for me. Great review.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

What could Donna have ignored for her father to pull such an act? This sounds like such an intriguing storyline. What a review!
Ogidor Chinasa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogidor-chinasa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ogidor Chinasa »

Breakage" by David-Michael Harding appears to be a well-written and engaging crime thriller novel, with a unique and suspenseful plot, captivating narrative, and well-edited storyline. I think I may find this book interesting and entertaining. Great review.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

I like to read books that are suspenseful because they excite and engage my mind when I least expected. So, I think David-Michael has done well bringing some doses of suspense into "Breakage." Additionally, it feels great to know that the plot progression is fluid and interesting.
Oluebube Prisca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluebube-prisca.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluebube Prisca »

Now I'm quite surprised will a man really stage his own daughter kidnapping, I don't get the kind of man Don is but I am at awe at his ability before his disease.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I guess it's hard to listen to someone who's always behaved in a selfish way even if he's your father and Donnie proved in many ways to be unworthy of his daughter's love and respect. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”