Review of Elena in Exile

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review of Elena in Exile

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Elena in Exile" by Gavin Boyter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Gavin Boyter's Elena in Exile follows Elena Balan and her daughter, Ana, as they arrive in London to start a new life. A horrendous incident compels Elena to flee Bucharest. Except for her paramour, Frances da Costa, nobody knows the full circumstances behind her departure. Not even Ana. Elena entrusts her life's savings with Frances in the hopes that she would help them gain roots in London. To her utter shock, Frances ghosts Elena and Ana as soon as they land in England. This does not daunt the Romanian women. Fate brings Robin Yarmouth into their path. The police officer finds himself inexorably entwined in the Balan women's lives. It is Robin who arranges free accommodation for them for a while as Elena finds her foot in the strange city. Elena gets a job and Ana befriends Chris. Things finally start looking up for Elena and Ana. However, everything goes for a toss when Elena's next-door neighbor is found dead. At first, the police officers deem the young Somali sex worker's death to be a suicide. Having met Qamar Liibaan, Elena suspects foul play. With the help of Robin, she sets out to uncover the mystery of Qamar's death.

Will Elena ever find out what happened to Qamar or will she endanger herself and Ana in the process of unraveling the mystery? What prompted Elena to leave Romania? Will the past remain in the past or will it haunt her forever? Most importantly, will Elena and Ana be able to live a happy life in London?

London is a melting pot of cultures. People from all over the world call the old metropolitan city their home. Gavin Boyter does a wonderful job of portraying London's multiculturalism. From Asians and East Europeans to native Britishers, characters of all ethnicities feature in Boyter's novel. I love how he enlivens the boisterous yet dark streets of Soho. It is evident that Boyter did thorough research for the benefit of his book. He effectively portrays the undercurrent of racism and corruption prevalent in schools and the police department. I like how he showcases the police procedures in minute detail. This made me feel like a detective of Scotland Yard.

Gavin Boyter is an amazing mystery writer. He keeps us on our toes as we wait for the killer to be unmasked. Believe me, you will not be able to guess the culprit for a long time. Elena's past is also an intriguing mystery. All this keeps us glued to the book till the end.

Elena in Exile has a great host of characters. Elena is one strong protagonist. No matter what life throws at her, she stands up and fights back. She takes her responsibility as a mother seriously. Her bond with Ana is adorable. I like how she is friends with her daughter. Also, I like how Boyter showcases her vulnerability in romantic matters. She had been burned in love one too many times. Understandably, it takes her time to truly open up to Robin. Robin, for his part, is incredibly supportive and understanding. I like the way he is always there for Elena and Ana. Ana is a vivacious teenager. She is sensible yet headstrong. This combination makes her my favorite character. I loved how she stood up to Chris when it was necessary.

The only area of opportunity in Gavin Boyter's Elena in Exile is its editing. I found quite a number of errors. Moreover, there are some glaring plot holes. For example, at one point we are told that Robin's father lives at a sheltered accommodation in a seaside village. Later, we are informed that his father was killed in an accident on one of the North Sea rigs when he was eight. Another instance is Carver's secretary being called Janine at times and Janice at other times. All this might baffle some readers.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate Gavin Boyter's Elena in Exile 4 out of 5 stars. I have taken off one star due to the editing issues already discussed. Keeping aside the editing, Elena in Exile is one fine book that keeps you engaged till the end. Hence, I have given it 4 stars.

I recommend this thrilling book to fans of murder mysteries, detective fiction, and multicultural novels.

Elena in Exile
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Wow! This book seems to have a lot going on. I am intrigued by Elena and her daughter. I wonder what caused her to run and why her boyfriend ghosted her. I am glad to. Know, though, that Robin stands by Elena.
holywriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holywriter.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by holywriter »

"Great review! I love how you highlighted Gavin Boyter's portrayal of London's multiculturalism and the attention to detail in police procedures. It's clear that Boyter put in a lot of effort in his research, making the story even more immersive and intriguing. Thanks.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Mystery keeps me interested, hence the love for CTMH genre. How does a mother with trust issues solve murder? I love your review.
Rashika 00
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rashika 00 »

I adore mysteries, which is why I enjoy the CTMH genre, but I also like how you highlighted Gavin Boyter's portrayal of multicultural London and the meticulousness of police processes.
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The book seems to be a great read. The review has a nuanced but descriptive approach, that typically ends in a cliffhanger. But your evaluation regarding the multiculturism is superb.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mystery with interesting characters who act in London's multicultural environment. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”