Review of A Week's Worth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Review of A Week's Worth

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Week's Worth" by Thyme Lewis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Week's Worth is a fictional mystery book by Thyme Lewis. It consists of fifty-six chapters that follow Mac, a former Navy officer now working with FEMA, as he tries to rekindle his relationship with his mother after hearing some troubling news about her.

The book opens with Mac returning from the field only to hear a week-late message that his mother had a heart attack from his sister. Mac decides to take the trip to California to reconnect with his mother by going on a week's vacation with her at his LA apartment. However, it is not all smooth sailing as he must deal with her weight issues. This all occurs in the backdrop of a pandemic and a disturbing homeless epidemic. There is also the issue of his apartment's annoying new management, and as if that was not enough, for some reason, people keep turning up dead around them! How will Mac navigate these issues and rebuild his bond with his mother? Find out in this intriguing book.

There is so much to like about the book. I appreciate the language used throughout the book. It was very simple, devoid of complex terms, and hence very easy to follow. The narrator has a rather relaxing voice which made the listening experience good. I also like the little accents he does. The book is very character driven. The dynamic between Mac and Sadie is the central focus of most of the book, and we get to watch both characters slowly evolve into better versions of themselves.

The author does an excellent job of discussing issues like homelessness, hinting at some of the reservations people have about these people. My favorite part has to be the fifty-fifth chapter. The reveal there had my jaw dropping for a good minute. It was well put together, tying up a lot of loose ends in a logical manner. Overall, it was a lovely novel, and its ending made it a great read for me.

I found no negative issues with the book. I found only one error in the book. So, the book was professionally edited. Therefore, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I found the book interesting and a bit heartwarming, and I learned a bit about empathy from it. I was satisfied with the book, and as a result, I could not rate it any lower.

I recommend this book to lovers of mystery and suspense novels. Since it's an audiobook, lovers of audiobooks would enjoy this book too.

A Week's Worth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Mac’s plight mirrors that of many others. He is not fully informed about the health of his parent. He does seem to be trying, however, even though the circumstances are very complicated.
reviewerbook17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerbook17.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by reviewerbook17 »

This does look like a heartwarming book and I do love reading suspense-filled novels. This is a wonderful review.
Muzamil1987
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Muzamil1987 »

There are a lot of surprise turns from start to finish. I am amazed by the humorous dialogue between Mac, our hero, and his eccentric mom, who clumsily gets in the way as Mac finds out the details of a possible murder… I am thrilled to see more of Mac's adventures!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

It seems like personal and professional problems come for Mac at the same time: I wonder how he'll juggle them all. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I have never listened to an audiobook for adults, it is about time I give it a try. The storyline of family bonding in a setting of the pandemic and other relevant issues like homelessness is appealing to me. I wonder what this jaw-dropping reveal will be.
Nick2025
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nick2025 »

This was a wild ride from start to finish. From the first page, this book had me hooked. It has a great mixture of humor and family relationships, plus James Bond-esque adventure versus cold, hard reality. The main character, Mac, is a real-life hero working for FEMA who is stuck with a rescue closer to home: his mom and her failing health. He whisks her away from her shut-in lifestyle in Northern California and brings her down to his LA apartment for a week to have some together time and help her start on the pathway of living a healthier lifestyle.

The backdrop of the story is California burning in wildfires and the start of the pandemic. Amidst all this chaos, there is a murderer on the loose in Mac’s apartment building in LA. With Mac on the cops’ suspect list, it's a race against time for him to solve the crime while protecting his mom from the seedy underside of a city lifestyle that is much different from what he remembered during his last visit home.

I really loved the humanity of Mac’s story – he’s not a perfect character and he doesn’t always act the way he should, but he cares deeply for his mom and for justice to be served. Whether that’s bending the law, telling a white lie, saving a clerk from a thief, or helping the police to catch a killer, he straddles the line between being on the right side of the law and just being right. A fun and fascinating first novel by Mr. Lewis, and I’m very much looking forward to the next book in the series.
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

A Week's Worth by Thyme Lewis is a mystery novel about Mac, who works with FEMA. Mac receives disturbing news about his mother's health while at work, and he returns to spend a week with his mother in California. Why are people dying around them, and will Mac be able to reconnect with his mother? From your review, it sounds like a suspenseful book. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

A Week's Worth sounds like an engaging mystery with a heartwarming twist. The combination of Mac's journey to reconnect with his mother amidst a pandemic, homelessness, and mysterious deaths has piqued my curiosity.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'm curious how Mac's journey going to his mother would be. I hope it's not too bad. It seems readers will have a never-ending surprise when reading this book. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Great review! Right off the back, I’m interested in this because who cannot relate to having seemingly ALL chaos possible being thrown at them at once (and simply trying to stay afloat)? That plus a guarantee of character development in an already character-driven plot seals the deal.
Toblos k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toblos-k.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Toblos k »

I am glad you found the language of the book easy to follow and enjoyed the narrator's voice. It is great to hear that you appreciated the character development and the exploration of social issues like homelessness. The reveal in the fifty-fifth chapter seems to have made a strong impact on you, which is fantastic. I am also glad to hear that you found the book professionally edited and did not come across any negative issues. Your rating of 5 out of 5 stars is much appreciated. I will definitely keep your recommendation in mind for mystery and suspense lovers, as well as audiobook enthusiasts.
Upphilan Paul
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

This is a captivating review and I'm interested in reading the book. Well, Mac, the main character in this novel plays a vital role and I hope he was able to deal with his weight and also care for his mother affected with heat attack. A Week's Worth is indeed a fictional mystery book.
Good job. Congrats on BOTD.
Philo Maria19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Philo Maria19 »

The first few lines of the book will leave your imagination in shambles!!!
I was shocked to read that Mac had the innate ability to sense liars a mile a way or face to face. I can't do that, but, I impressed that others can.
VickyLenya
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by VickyLenya »

Mac's situation is so typical of our generational characters,getting busy and never minding our families,moreso our parents.Not a complected book at all,thanks for your simple analysation on the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”