Review of Charlie's Diner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Review of Charlie's Diner

Post by Donald Kelvin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlie's Diner" by Dennis F Killeen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Charlie Winters is a successful businessman but a sad one on the inside. A couple of years earlier, he had lost his only daughter to an accident, and his wife followed over the next few years, leaving Charlie on his own and without a family. He fell into a work routine and ate at the diner, where a longtime friend, Flo, worked as a waitress.

On one faithful day, as he sat at his regular spot, he observed a family he hadn't seen before in town, and as he watched them, he was reminded of his loss. As the family was leaving, he gifted them a thousand dollars to assist them financially. However, that gift did more harm than good. Paul, the husband, used the money to buy a bike instead of paying the bills. This action caused Ann, Paul's wife, to return to Charlie, seeking more money to pay the bills. Charlie gave her some cash in exchange for some minor sexual gratification. Paul catches them in the act one day. He stabs Charlie to death, and Ann stabs him in self-defense before he can kill her too. Shocked at the events, Ann picks up her children, packs her bags, and moves away. The police take over the investigation and are met with dead ends at a certain point. What next would they do? Meanwhile, Ann is now in Nebraska and seems to have started life afresh. How well would things turn out for her? Will her past catch up with her?

Charlie's Diner by Dennis F. Killeen was a simple and exciting book. From what I had in mind, the plot turned out to be very unexpected, and I'm sure the audience would love it. The story was written from the third-person point of view, which puts the readers on the pedestal of the action in the story as it unfolded. The character development in this book was commendable; it contained few well-developed characters could, and I'm sure the audience would have no difficulty understanding. My favorite character has to be Ann; her resilience and intelligence were something that I found pretty impressive. Molly Raintree was another character I liked. I admired how committed she was to fight crime and solving cases. My favorite part of this book was when Ann went to help Tony during his recovery; I found myself laughing a lot during that period.

The only thing I disliked about this book was the numbering method of its chapters. I don't know if it was meant to appear interesting; however, it only reduced the book's quality; for instance, moving from Day 0 to two years later sounded quite unbelievable. However, this is just my subjective opinion of the book. This book was generally worth the time spent on it. It was a beautiful combination of action, humor, and mystery, as I had never envisioned that plot twist. Another thing worthy of commendation was the editing. I only encountered one error throughout the entire story length; the book was professionally edited.

Charlie's Diner by Dennis F. Killeen receives 5 out of 5 stars from me due to its engaging plot, mystery, and exceptional editing. I recommend this book to audiences interested in murder mysteries, detective stories, and action thrillers.

Charlie's Diner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
reviewerbook17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerbook17.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by reviewerbook17 »

This is an exceptional writing and I really do commend you on your beautifully written review. I would definitely love to check out this book which is something I definitely plan on doing.
Rosesbookpicks
Favorite Book: Small Spaces
Currently Reading: A school for good and evil
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosesbookpicks.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Nice review! I will add this to my bookshelf and I also really like murder mysteries and mysteries.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Wow! I didnt expect that when I started reading the review. What a story. Now im really curious about what happened to her? Great review.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for the excellent review of "Charlie's Diner" by Dennis F. Killeen. The book sounds like a captivating read with unexpected plot twists, well-developed characters, and a combination of action, humor, and mystery. It's great to hear that the editing was professionally done, and you only encountered one error throughout the book. I agree with your recommendation of the book to audiences interested in murder mysteries, detective stories, and action thrillers. Overall, it seems like a highly recommended book.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Mariam Ibraheem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-ibraheem.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Mariam Ibraheem »

It's impressive that you gave the book five stars in your final evaluation. I believe your opinion on this because it's obvious that you really liked the book.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

Losing family in such a manner is never easy. No matter what someone might say about getting back up after being depressed. Nice review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Wow! This story is so interesting! How a gift turned into a chain of crimes and deaths. I’ll love to read this. But I feel you’ve told all that it’s about the book or what more should the readers expect?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing character that makes me curious about the consequences of Charlie's actions and Ann's future. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This book seems to teach how to be faithful to one's partner. I wonder what Ann and Charlie's future will be after the act of betrayal. Would they find peace? I'd like to know. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

It's clear that you found "Charlie's Diner" to be a well-crafted combination of action, humor, and mystery.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Timbria & The Magical Meadow by K. Cupp

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I believe that Charlie helping the family was not a bad decision but rather Paul lacked in his decision and instead pushed his wife to Charlie. Would love to find out if the woman's past caught up with her.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

This is a very well-written review. I appreciate how you skillfully balanced the positives and negatives of this book. I wonder what will become of Ann once she moves to Nebraska. Well done!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80217
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 779%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Tragedy that left charlie impetus to let things slidehe was a grieving widower who mourned the lose of his wife but also the death of his young daughter few yrs to her beloved wife death..
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Wow this book was not what I expected in a good way. I admire Ann’s resilience and tenacity through the altercations with Charlie and Tony all because of financial struggle. Also what Charlie went through losing his daughter was heartbreaking. Thank you for writing an insightful review!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”