Review of The Orpheus Project

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review of The Orpheus Project

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Orpheus Project" by Valerie Sinason.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Orpheus Project by Valerie Sinason followed the shocking story of Lady Rose Redcliffe, a twenty-one-year-old girl with Down syndrome. She was born into the wealthy home of Sir Peter Redcliffe, the British minister of health, and his elegant wife, Lady Lily. For Sir Peter, having a daughter with such a disability had proved to be a booster for his political career, garnering sufficient pity from the populace. However, his private life and relationship with his beautiful wife suffered and continued to suffer from his wife's belief that their daughter was a blot in their bloodline. Lady Rose was placed in a residential home, Harvest House Unit at St Joseph's Hospital, to be taken care of before being relocated to an independent unit named after her. When the St Joseph's Trauma Unit (SJTU) received a shocking call, Dr. Stuart and his team faced a delicate matter with political and scientific implications.

The storytelling technique in The Orpheus Project was peculiar, as the author's narration projected the story in a way that made it seem real. The story was narrated in real time, making the reading experience pleasant and impactful. On another hand, the book had a robust layout of characters and plot. It presented a struggle to keep up with the various characters and their portfolios, even though the author provided a glossary of characters at the end of the book.

The characters were dynamic but human. In a way, many of the characters were symbolic figures representing a large pool found in our society today. For one, the entire St Joseph's Trauma Unit (SJTU) team allowed a glimpse into the struggle that followed dealing with abuse, especially with younger victims. The character pool was gloomy, as many of them were broken victims of one kind of abuse or the other. It cast a sad cloud over the entire book but made the characters authentic. One of my favorites was Sir Peter, the health minister. His struggle to balance his love for his disabled daughter while being sensitive to his wife's feelings was endearing. Although Lady Lily appeared as a villain initially, readers might warm up to her much later and empathize with her story. Most commendable was Lady Rose, whom the author gave enough character for readers to connect with and be invested in her journey.

This book was primarily based on the issues surrounding abuse and mental health — paramount conversations in our modern-day society. Sinason shed light on the trauma left behind by abuse and the debilitating effects on those tasked with managing victims of such. Sinason also highlighted some deep human flaws — the readiness to exploit the weak for selfish reasons and a society that'd ignore the truth for good PR.

I appreciate the message in The Orpheus Project, and it is professionally edited. I recommend it to readers interested in mental health and stories of criminal conspiracies. Regardless of the challenge to keep up with the characters' portfolios, I still rate The Orpheus Project five out of five stars, as it isn't enough reason to deduct a star from the rating.

The Orpheus Project
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fabbie Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabbie-woods.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabbie Woods »

I love your analysis of Valerie Sinason's work. The narrative technique, which simulates a real-time experience, is an ingenious approach that imbues the tale with vividness and immediacy.
Words seduce and pages ignite passion. Let's get lost in the tantalizing world of literature together.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There are some people that are hard to understand. Their self-esteem is bound up in who and what is next to them. I am curious to find out what ultimately becomes of Lady Lily and Lady Rose.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I love your review and I was indulged with the storyline. I think I will empathize with Lady Rose. Sinason has made a narrative that is rampant in modern society.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

Mental health and abuse are such important topics that I am glad someone has decided to write such a compelling book that features them. Thanks for the informative review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Important themes are developed in this novel in a story that is even more sensitive for the involvment of aristocrats and politicians. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”