Review of Dark Agendas of Power

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Dark Agendas of Power

Post by Temi Book »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Agendas of Power" by Kevin Glenn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn is an enthralling action novel that delves into the themes of friendship, politics, history, the military, and a hint of romance. The novel revolves around Sergeant Cory Bryson, who oversees the tactical operations at the NoVit (Novus Initium Research Arcology). NoVit is an arcology built for research into climate change, but it houses a secret community called Resistance Seven (R7). R7 comprises a group of people who are vehemently opposed to the New Economic Order of 2021 (NEO21), a group that wields considerable economic power and seeks to bring all world governments under their control. 

After completing a mission, Bryson meets Amit Rubin, the Lieutenant of Tactical Ops of the Israeli Special Forces. Amit was sent by her father, a general in Israel, to fight against the GEU. Meanwhile, on the other side of the country, a group of five college students, consisting of Milo, Kaylee, Claire, Derek, and Nash, are also against the new economic order. This group protests in their own way by sending text bombs to everyone in the country, revealing some hidden truths about the GEU. The stage is set for a battle between democracy and authoritarianism, but who will emerge victorious? How will R7 overcome the GEU without blowing their cover? Find out by following Bryson and Amit in this thrilling novel as they work together to save the world.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Dark Agendas of Power. As a fan of action novels, I found this book to be particularly exciting, but what I appreciated even more was the inclusion of historical elements. The book is very well organized, with each action, event, and place being explicitly described, making it easy for readers to imagine the scenes in their minds. The arcology, in particular, is an intriguing concept, and I couldn't help but wish that such a place existed where residents could live free from the constraints of the outside world. I was particularly impressed by the app that is only accessible to the residents of the arcology, which gives them access to their apartments. Additionally, the concept of mediation in the event of an offense was a refreshing change from the punitive justice system that we are used to.

The historical facts woven into the novel were also a plus for me. As a non-US citizen, some of the historical references were a bit challenging to follow, but I searched for additional information online and was able to expand my knowledge. For instance, I learned about Fredrick the Great, a former king of Prussia whom General Rubin liked to compare Bryson to. I also learned about the history of the global economy and was surprised to discover that the USA isn't the only country to have held the reins of power in the global economy; Rome and Great Britain also had their turn. The author, Kevin Glenn, has a degree in clinical mental health counseling, and it was evident in the detailed knowledge he incorporated into the novel that he's an avid reader. From the descriptions of the fighting scenes to the military equipment used, it was as if he had served in the army himself. 

I would have given this novel a full rating of 5 stars if not for the errors in the book and some other issues. Although they did not affect my reading experience, they were noticeable. Also, there were some loose ends in the story, such as the lack of information about Bryson's children. Although it was mentioned that he cared deeply about them, their ages, gender, and location were not disclosed, and there were no flashbacks of his life with them. Additionally, some military acronyms were used without their meanings being given. Despite these issues, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars, mainly because of the main characters, Bryson and Amit, who complement each other perfectly in battle. I wish the author had written more about their budding romance.

In conclusion, I recommend this novel to action enthusiasts and those interested in historical books. The author provides clear explanations of US history and the First World War. The novel's themes of friendship, politics, history, and the military are well balanced, making it an enjoyable read.  

Dark Agendas of Power
View: on Bookshelves
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Your honest opinion about the length of the book was appreciated. It showed that you were invested in the story and wanted to absorb all the information, but it was also a challenge to keep up with. I respect that you gave an honest opinion, even though you still rated the book four stars. Your recommendation for science fiction lovers to read it made me more interested in checking out the book.
Jane Honda
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Jane Honda »

This is a multi themed book. Despite the fact it I am not a fan of such book, I still enjoyed reading your review. You have this amazing way of writing a review which I must applaud you for. Thanks.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There are lots of acronyms in this novel, aren’t there? I am a big fan of description. Since this book deals with lots of things that I am not familiar with, it’s especially advantageous. Thanks for the great review!
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

This is an interesting story to read, I am a fan of historical fictions. I will interestingly learn more, the U.S. history and the first world war. Nice review.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

Historical fictions are usually my thing especially the kne relating to the United States of America. Your review was well broken down.
Tari egai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tari-egai.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Tari egai »

Although this particular genre of literature is not typically one that I gravitate towards, I must admit that the reviewer truly succeeded in capturing my attention with their well-written critique. I want to express my sincere appreciation to the reviewer for their exceptional writing style, which was able to pique my interest in this book despite my initial reservations.
Thanks to the reviewer's exceptional review, however, I was able to discover a book that I might have otherwise overlooked, and for that, I am truly grateful.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

From your review one is up to an interesting ride reading this book. I love action-packed novels and would have loved to read this but for it's length. Wonderful review well-done.
Favour Chiedozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-chiedozie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Favour Chiedozie »

The themes in this book are varied. I enjoyed reading this review because of the historic fiction of U.S. The storyline is also very good. I must commend you for your outstanding review-writing style.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's a topic that I'd like to read about. Thank you for the wonderful and informative review. I like how the book has organizations and then some historical aspects in the mix.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for your detailed and insightful review of Dark Agendas of Power. I appreciate your recommendation for action enthusiasts and those interested in historical books. The inclusion of historical facts and the arcology concept seems intriguing, and I'm looking forward to reading this book.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Ogidor Chinasa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogidor-chinasa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ogidor Chinasa »

"Dark Agendas of Power" seems to be an exciting and well-researched action novel that successfully weaves in historical elements. I like how the author includes a mix of genres and themes, making it appealing to a wide range of readers. Great review.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

From the book title, the cover, and now your review, the book is alluring. I love this kind of stories. Though they are presented as fictions, they give one a glimpse of what happens in the real world.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

The cover of the book is eye-catching, and how the fight for power between the Resistant Seven, where Bryson was, and the GEU ended is something I would love to know more about.
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

It is very difficult to write a review of a multi themed book. However, your review is a class act. Thanks

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”