Review of See Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of See Me

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "See Me" by Susann Camus.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

See Me is an enthralling novel by Susann Camus that portrays racism, sexism, misogyny, and crime. The book centers on an Indian woman, Jeannie Johal, who runs away from her home country to Vancouver, Canada, to start a new life escaping her husband.

In this book, the author displays strong female characters who work in the health system. Jeannie leaves India for Canada and is faced with different forms of racism and sexism by her coworker, who she doesn’t allow to put her down, and faces squarely. Upon arriving at the hospital, there is an ongoing criminal investigation that shows the flaws of the health system, which Jeannie tries to rectify in her own little way, starting from the indigenous disparities in how patients are treated, especially as she is a Brown woman. She settles warmly into her new life, putting India behind her. She becomes a strong woman fighting racism and sexism in her workspace and hoping the past remains in the past and does not come to hunt her. Or will it?

I loved the characterization of this book. The characters were not so many and had depth which was essential to understanding their roles in the book. I also loved the character of Dr. Peter, which showed us that not all that glitters are gold and that there are always two sides to a coin and nobody is perfect. I appreciated the way the author showed us that doctors are not flawless and can make mistakes too, that in as much as we trust them with our lives, they are as human as we are and are prone to mistakes. I also appreciate that there were not many errors in the book, which helped in making it easier to read the book. Lastly, I loved how the author displayed the issues of racism and sexism, issues faced in everyday life, and these issues should not be condoned by any means.

There were some things I didn’t appreciate in this book. First is the unimportant and unwarranted romance towards the end of the book, which I think was cliché. I also didn’t appreciate how the protagonist was portrayed as a goody-two-shoes who couldn’t hurt a fly in the novel. I felt like there were also many loose ends in what happened to some characters, which readers were left to guess as the book ended without tying these ends.

I would rate this book four out of five stars because of the flaws in the book, which I already mentioned above. I did not rate the book lower because I found it to be an interesting read which displayed relevant themes.

I recommend this book for lovers of thrillers, crime novels, and feminists. This would be an excellent read for them.

See Me
View: on Bookshelves
Prodigy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prodigy5.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prodigy5 »

It is always nice to read a book about going out of one's comfort zone and surpassing their limits. This is a well-written review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There are many topics of interest in this book. Not all victims of abuse are really submissive. Those that have the means can escape to a new life and who knows what will happen.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for writing such an insightful review of "See Me" by Susann Camus. Your detailed description of the book's themes and characterizations really piqued my interest in this novel. I appreciate that you mentioned the author's strong portrayal of female characters in the health system and the issues of racism and sexism that they face. It's refreshing to see a book address such relevant issues.

I can understand your critique of the unwarranted romance towards the end of the book, but I'm still excited to give this novel a shot. Your four out of five-star rating has motivated me to read this book, and I'm excited to see how the author tackles these relevant themes.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write such a well thought out review. Your review has convinced me to give "See Me" a chance, and I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems like an engaging mystery that addresses important issues that are still far too common even in countries that are supposed to be progressive. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The story sounds enthralling. One of the aspects that will make a story stand out is the issue of having multidimensional characters, and I am glad that this one is packed with such. The novel also handles existential issues such as racial bigotry. The fact that one can stand against such is motivational. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”