Review of A Journey of the Heart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Review of A Journey of the Heart

Post by CrossK »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Journey of the Heart" by Brenda Benning.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lundyn Bell lost her mother, Lindsey, in an accident when she was ten. After the accident, Lundyn continued living with her grandparents, Marion and Jasper Bell, whom she referred to as Gran and Papa, respectively, in Bellbrook Springs. Lundyn's mother became pregnant with her when she was nineteen. Therefore, Lundyn was raised without her knowing who her father was. Since Lindsey passed away when Lundyn was a little child, there are many details about Lindsey's past that Lundyn is unaware of, and she sincerely didn't bother much about it.

Lundyn's best friend, Sally Jo, appeared to be more curious about Lundyn's background than Lundyn herself. Lundyn's suspicions about her and her mother's past started to grow when an enigmatic man named Adam started to frequent her grandmother's café, even their home. Lundyn, who is currently twenty-three years old and just out of college, is still trying to find her way in life. She believes that learning more about her background will help her go on to the next stage. Will Lundyn achieve the satisfaction she seeks? To understand more, read Brenda Benning's A Journey of the Heart.

I must admit that this story's descriptiveness had me enthralled. The author's narrative abilities are exceptional, and everybody can identify with them. Because this book was told from a third person's perspective, it had the effect of reading aloud someone's thoughts, and I particularly enjoyed learning about the ideas and feelings of each character. The storyline was very inventive. The story's surprise conclusion is what I appreciate most about the storyline development. I found myself making an effort to show how predictable this book may be. When I realized the first plot twist, I instantly gave up. I realized then that I was about to experience a switchback of profound revelations.

I liked the character of Sally Jo in particular. Everyone, in my opinion, has a friend like Sally Jo—that one friend who challenges you to push outside your comfort zone and take on life's challenges. To me, Sally Jo's character served as a sort of catalyst for the plot of this book. She appeared in the right spots, and her persona was the ideal addition to this tale. The revelation of the true identity of this bizarre Adam figure was my favorite portion of the novel. The atmosphere of the situation tends to change as he enters the frame. Finding out who he is as a character and what drives him in the story's development comforted me. I thought the mystery scenes were wonderfully written. I wasn't sure what to anticipate when reading at one point. I had to let the tension overwhelm me.

Additionally, I appreciate a decent sense of humor. Thus, Lundyn and I connected well. She always seems to have the funniest discussions and sayings. Many of her dialogs with other characters had me laughing out loud. “Wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident” from page 9 of 499. Who would leave the house wearing soiled underwear? I thought as I laughed aloud at the adage. Moreover, I relished this book and all that it had to offer. I enjoyed reading it, and I intend to read more of Brenda's writing in the future. Additionally, I discovered no apparent errors in this book. It was exceptionally edited. Therefore, I rate A Journey Of The Heart 5 out of 5 stars. Because of the type of sequences in this book, I recommend it to fans of mystery and thriller novels.

A Journey of the Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for the wonderful review of A Journey of the Heart! The author's narrative abilities and descriptive storytelling had me hooked as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the surprise conclusion and the character development of Sally Jo. The book sounds like a great read, and I'll be adding it to my reading list.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Geofrey Kebira
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geofrey-kebira.html
Latest Review: Let it Be by Thomas Grady

Post by Geofrey Kebira »

Sally Jo made the whole reading interesting and
awesome. Amaizing review.
Husky03
Favorite Book: The Digital Fortress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husky03.html
Latest Review: The Fight for Sleep by Thad R Harshbarger

Post by Husky03 »

Thank you for your review! Seems like they are all quite well written characters and who doesn't like an author who who narrates so well that we are pulled into the world they made. The promise of a surprise conclusion makes the book even more tempting. Looking forward to reading it.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think Adam is part of Lundyn's past. Is he? The plot sounds extreme, and I like that I can connect easily with the characters. Sally Jo sounds admirable as well. Thank you for your beautiful review, CrossK!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mystery with secrets that get slowly revealed and also humor that make some bits really funny. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”