Review of Ghosting My Friend

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Review of Ghosting My Friend

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ghosting My Friend" by Christopher Chan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Chris Chan's Ghosting My Friend, the protagonist, Isaiah Funderburke, is reeling from the loss of his friend Bertie, whose death remains a mystery. Fourteen years later, Funderburke discovers that Bertie has been ghosted by someone else, prompting him to investigate who could be responsible and why. As he delves deeper into the mystery, he uncovers surprising truths about Bertie's life and death.

The book is full of suspense and kept me engaged throughout. I was particularly interested in learning more about Bertie's death and the identity of the ghoster. Chan does an excellent job of slowly unraveling the mysteries, building tension with each new revelation. The final reveal of Bertie's murderer was particularly surprising and satisfying, especially who the ghoster was and why he or she chose to ghost Bertie.

One aspect of the book that I particularly enjoyed was the portrayal of Funderburke's childhood and his friendship with Bertie. The flashbacks provided insight into Funderburke's character and motivations, making me feel invested in his journey. I also appreciated the inclusion of humor, particularly in Marcus's scene, which provided a welcome break from the tension.

I loved reading about the childhood stories of Nerissa and Funderburke. I felt compassion for Funderburke because of all the harsh treatment he underwent at the hands of his stepfather. There was a lot to learn from the stories of both of them. I also admired Nerissa's personality and the program she was in charge of. The love between both characters was refreshing.

The characters in the book were well-developed and felt realistic. Funderburke was a particularly compelling protagonist, with his detective skills and determination. I also appreciated the diverse cast of characters, each of whom played an important role in the story. The minor characters like Esme, Keith, Vianne, Tyler, Marcus, Nadine, Zita, Mr. and Mrs. Godspeed, and Mrs. Marigold Zuidecker all played their parts well in the unity of the story.

The writing style was straightforward and easy to follow, with occasional flashbacks that added depth to the story. The book was well edited and free of errors, which made for a smooth reading experience. Therefore, I rate Ghosting My Friend five out of five stars. For me, there is no reason to dislike anything about it. There was a lot to learn from it.

One theme that resonated with me was the importance of forgiveness. Funderburke's journey towards forgiveness was a powerful reminder of the strength it takes to let go of anger and move forward.

Overall, I highly recommend Ghosting My Friend to fans of mystery novels. The book is a well-crafted, engaging read that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end.

Ghosting My Friend
View: on Bookshelves
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

I really need to understand the concept of ghosting someone. How on earth Is it possible for someone alive to ghost one that is dead.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

You did an excellent job reviewing the book, and your insights about the characters were spot-on. I appreciate your attention to detail, especially when you highlighted Funderburke's childhood and his friendship with Bertie. Your review made me feel invested in the characters and their journey, and I'm now eager to read the book.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I'm impressed with your review and how you discussed the diverse cast of characters in the book. It's always refreshing to see stories that represent different perspectives and experiences. Your positive commentary about the writing style and editing also convinced me that this book is worth reading. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and giving me an insight into what to expect from this mystery novel.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This seems like a novel that I would enjoy reading. Both the old and new friendships are appealing. I certainly appreciate Isaiah's determination in finding the killer.
Kathie Slief Turner
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Attunist
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathie-slief-turner.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kathie Slief Turner »

This is yet another CTMH book that I'd like to read. Based on the review things remain a mystery through much of the book, the characters well developed, and the writing and editing superb. This is my kind of book! Thanks for a great review, which led me to put this one on my bookshelf!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A cold case can make an interesting mystery and well-constructed characters can enrich the story making it even more engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”