Review of Alaska Deadly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review of Alaska Deadly

Post by Only Joeseph »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alaska Deadly" by J.L. Askew.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mr. Race Warren, a private investigator, receives his first real case to locate the whereabouts of Mr. Ron Billings, his client's husband, and deliver a message to him. What appears to be a simple job puts his life in danger as he becomes the target of assassination attempts. During his investigation, he uncovers an unsolved murder and a trafficking case in town, which turned out to be more complex than they appeared on the surface. How did Mr. Warren unravel the mystery? Did he solve the case? Was he able to deliver the message to Mr. Billings? Pick up a copy of Alaska Deadly by J.L. Askew to find out.

Upon seeing the novel's title, I initially assumed it was a horror story. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a captivating mystery that kept me on edge. The prologue immediately grabbed my attention, and the way the author interweaved the characters made it even more fascinating. This thrilling novel showcases the unpredictable nature of detective work and how even the most straightforward cases can lead to unexpected twists.

I loved this book because it has different facets, including anthropological knowledge, mystery, action, and mythology. These different elements were skillfully blended together to create an engaging and thought-provoking story. While I found the prologue to be captivating, I was disappointed that the book proper had a slow start. However, the suspense began to build as the story progressed and reached its climax towards the end.

What I didn't particularly like about this book was the slow pacing. I had excitedly delved into the book, but the slow pacing slowed my reading momentum. Another aspect of the novel that I did not appreciate was the unresolved storyline concerning Warren and Kate, which left me feeling unsatisfied. I wish there was more information about them. Furthermore, the novel concluded with several unanswered questions and lingering mysteries, which I personally did not enjoy. I will be glad if a sequel is on the way because I have some unanswered questions.

Overall, I would rate the book 4 out of 5 stars, removing a star because of the negative aspects I mentioned above. While the novel's pacing could have been improved, the author's ability to create suspense and maintain reader interest throughout the story was commendable. Readers who enjoy mystery, action, anthropology, criminology, and mythology will undoubtedly appreciate this book's intricate plot and diverse characters. Hence, I would recommend it to them. I also appreciate the author for ensuring the book was exceptionally well-edited.

Alaska Deadly
View: on Bookshelves
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I'm curious to know whether the cover page's image is relevant to the plot. Otherwise, your review is impeccable!
Husky03
Favorite Book: The Digital Fortress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husky03.html
Latest Review: The Fight for Sleep by Thad R Harshbarger

Post by Husky03 »

Sounds like an interesting book and I am definitely one of the reader's who enjoy everything you stated. However, the fact that there are unanswered questions and that the plot is slow to develop definitely puts me on the fence. Hopefully the author's writing style is enough to push me through it! Thank you for your detailed review!
Nithinbabu-777
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nithinbabu-777 »

"Alaska Deadly" is a mystery/thriller novel written by J.L. Askew and published in 2018. The story follows detective Kate Blanchett as she investigates a series of murders in the remote wilderness of Alaska. The book has received generally positive reviews on Goodreads and Amazon, with readers praising the plot twists, well-developed characters, and vivid setting descriptions. If you're a fan of mystery/thriller novels and enjoy stories set in the great outdoors, you might want to check out "Alaska Deadly" for yourself.
Joshua Olayomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestwriter77.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Joshua Olayomi »

The descriptions of the snowy landscapes and the isolated towns added to the book's overall tone and contributed to its suspenseful nature. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like detective stories. However, I wouldn't be much of one. I seem to regularly miss important details.
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

I like to read books where the author adds a prologue that is very interesting and gives a headstart on what to expect in the rest of the storyline.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

"Alaska Deadly" by J.L. Askew is a captivating mystery that had me on the edge of my seat. With each turn of the page, I was drawn deeper into Mr. Race Warren's dangerous investigation. The plot twists and suspense kept me guessing until the very end. Askew's writing style is engaging and the storytelling is masterful.
Ucposh301
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ucposh301.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Ucposh301 »

The slow start of the book as indicated by the reviewer will need patient readers to be able to pass through that phase and get enjoy the rest. The reviewer did a great job to properly analyze the book in a a more intriguing manner.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: To Turn a Million by Keith L. Robinson

Post by Rob Carr »

The mystery element of the book sounds intriguing. I do hate it when a book ends with unanswered questions though!
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Akuvi Kafui Akpawu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akuvi-kafui-akpawu.html
Latest Review: Alaska Deadly by J.L. Askew

Post by Akuvi Kafui Akpawu »

Thanks for a relevant official review... I found this book a bit advanced for me... If it wasn't for the official review I think I wouldn't have re-read the first chapters... It was not obvious that Larsen wasn't Claire's husband. I found it odd, though why spend so many pages on Larsen? Also Race is not his actual name. But why is it mentioned only later. Nevertheless, the theme of natives and wolf-man was quite original and the end unexpected...Another thing, that was mentioned only later...quite a unique style of writing and rich vocabulary.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a sophisticated mystery with twists and surprises. Its merits seem to far overweight its flaws, though it's probably suitable especially for readers who like to "savor" a story bit by bit. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”