Review of Wake To The Dead

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Review of Wake To The Dead

Post by Alex Reeves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wake To The Dead" by Dean Mitchell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what an apocalypse would look like if it happened? Have you ever imagined the world ending due to a meteor exploding in the atmosphere, causing the sky to turn dark red with a bloody rain that brings dead people back to life? If you haven’t, that is the apocalypse as depicted in this book. Wake To The Dead by Dean Mitchell is a thrilling, exhilarating horror story in which the world is filled with undead people—people who died and were brought back by this rain that turns them into zombie-like creatures.

In the city of Port Angela, a team of survivors, including Marcus, a middle-aged man who lost his father to the apocalyptic events; Sarah, a woman who lost her boyfriend to a zombie attack; Skye, a little girl who lost her father to hunger and starvation; Caleb, a biker; Miranda, a convicted serial killer; Father Gordon, an alcoholic priest suffering from Tourette's; and two Japanese twins, hold on to life in this destroyed world, with low food supplies and zombies everywhere. They know that life is now unimaginably short, and they must stick together to stay safe and alive. Will they survive this impossible apocalypse, or will their fate eventually end up like the pink-eyed, pale-skinned, rotten-smelling cannibals that roam every square foot of Port Angela and probably the whole world?

Honestly speaking, I’ve read a couple of zombie apocalypse books to know that I’m not too keen on horror, but the description of this book intrigued me, and I wasn’t about to let it go. To say the least, reading this book was definitely worth my time and effort. I was attached to the characters in a way I never expected, and by the author's graphical descriptions, I knew whom to like and whom to dislike. Marcus was the most impressive character in this book, and I was fascinated by his devotion to duty. Sarah, Skye, Caleb, Father Gordon, Miranda, and the two twins also had important and notable characteristics, and their behaviors and survival instincts absolutely fascinated me.

Additionally, the graphical description of this book was of a very fine quality, as I accurately pictured out the gruesome and not-so-gruesome scenes in the book. The suspense and horror were highly exhilarating, and most times I held my breath when I sensed something huge was about to occur. As I said earlier, due to many factors, this book was a thrill to read, and it was definitely worth every minute I spent on it.

With an excellent story to tell and a great writing style, Dean Mitchell was able to keep me fastened to his book, leaving me without the option of stopping until I turned the last page. I found no grammatical errors in this book whatsoever, and I couldn’t find any aspect of this book that could be qualified as negative. However, it is important to note that this book contains bloody and horror scenes, and it is only for those who can stomach sickening things like gut slicing and dismemberment of bodies. It also contains minor mature content, as some scenes involve nudity, which makes the book more suitable for a mature audience.

This book was exceptionally well-edited, as I didn’t find one single error in its 386 pages. All said and done, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars, as from my standpoint, it met all the requirements of a five-star book. In conclusion, I heartily recommend this book to lovers of horror movies and novels, and to people who enjoy reading bloodcurdling zombie stories.

Wake To The Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

While I cannot watch horror movies, I do enjoy reading one from time to time. This story sparks my interest with the rain aspect and based on your review it's worth the read. There are great details and explanations in your review. Thanks.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for writing such an informative and creative review I appreciate the attention you paid to the book's content and value to readers, despite your initial dislike of horror. Your review has indeed intrigued me as I have not read a compelling zombie-like horror book in a while. I am excited to experience the exquisite, graphic descriptions of the horror scenes in the book and how the author combines those scenes with the emotional journeys of each character. Your review truly portrayed the author's prowess in writing horror stories and hinted on how suspenseful yet adventurous the story is. Thanks to your well-articulated thoughts on the book, I'm confident that I'm going to enjoy this book as much as you did. Thank you, and well done!
Amonegbema
Favorite Author: David J Castello
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 57459

Post by Amonegbema »

Thanks you for this nice book
Called: wake of the dead
the book depicted it's horror scene displayed in every chapter of it this book worth to be read. The book shows how the author had such imaginative ideas to bring this book to it's limelight. Also about the zombie apocalypse ravaging the earth with all bloody scene.
I will highly recommend this book for those who enjoy reading books that talks on horror.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

In recent years, the zombie apocalypse has been quite trendy and I'm glad an author can still write a good novel on this theme. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”