Review of Death of the Limping Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Review of Death of the Limping Man

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death of the Limping Man" by D.E. Ring.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Death of the Limping Man by D.E. Ring is an excellent audiobook. It is set in the not-so-small town of Barrachois. Barrachois is often considered to be at the edge of the world. In this town where everyone knows one another, a murder occurs, and the new inspector in town is tasked with bringing the perpetrator(s) to book.

Urquhart, the new inspector in the town of Barrachois (the city at the edge of the world), is given the herculean task of finding the killer of the limping man, a man who was supposedly liked and adored by all. Just like the loose thread concept talked about in the second movie of Enola Holmes, Urquhart soon finds a loose thread. As he keeps pulling on it, more shocking discoveries are made, and at the end of it all, the killer is discovered, and it turns out to be an unexpected one.

I loved everything about the book. The author delivered well on the suspense. The mystery was also such that it could keep one glued to their phone whilst listening. It was such that it could keep one on their toes with speculations as to who the murderer could be. It was also quite realistic; we see this realism explored at the ending part after the killer had been found out and Urquhart said, "This just stinks, if this is winning, then I don't like winning" because even after the killer was found, he was unhappy because of the tragedy that it would cause in the subsequent future.

There is not much that I can consider as the negative aspect of the book. However, I believe that the names of the characters might confuse the listener because of the similar traits in some and the outlandish traits in some, but personally, I do not consider it to be much of an issue.

This audiobook is a spectacular one, one that I enjoyed from the very beginning. I recommend it to just anyone and everyone who likes to read but, most importantly, for lovers of crime, murder, mystery, and suspense.

This book was well presented and was also done in simple diction such that any listener would be able to easily comprehend and enjoy it; therefore, I give this book five out of five stars. It would be a crime if I deduct any stars from my rating, as I did not find any reason to. I did not find any errors while listening to the audiobook.

Death of the Limping Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I like this book genre, filled with suspense and thriller; particularly when it is well written. The plot is classic for this genre and lack originality, however I like this concept of 'exploring the loose thread' and I also like the fact that the writer delivered on the suspense. I am a little concerned about the confusing names mentioned in the review. From experience, and that's my personal opinion, when names are confusing it can spoil the overall reading experience. Despite that negative aspect, I will add this book to my shelves for a fast paced, suspenseful reading experience. Thank you for your brilliant review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”