Review of Zoe Pound Haitian Formation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Review of Zoe Pound Haitian Formation

Post by Helen Akoth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zoe Pound Haitian Formation" by Thomas Barr Jr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Zoe Pound Haitians Formation is a crime novel by Thomas Barr Jr. It follows Terry Mack as he builds a drug dealing empire in Miami. The story begins when Terry and his mother are sailing from Haiti to Miami in search of better lives. Unfortunately, his father has been held a political prisoner by the dictatorial Haitian regime after voicing an unpopular opinion, and the duo has to flee to safety without him. Upon illegally landing in Miami, his mother settles down fast and soon finds a job in the hospitality industry. Terry is then enrolled in school, as her mother values education, believing how important it is, especially if one is an immigrant looking to realize the American dream. However, sooner than later, to fit in as a Haitian immigrant in a community dominated by Black Americans, he forms ties with some of them and finds himself in a drug trafficking business, all without his mother's knowledge. Read this book to uncover his intoxicating exploits and what becomes of him thereafter.

I liked that the novel's main plot picked up quickly. The author did not waste any time with long, winding, and unnecessary preliminaries before delving into the real substance—Terry's drug dealing journey in Miami. This helped maintain my interest right from the start. I also liked how the author fleshed out the protagonist's personality, emotions, and motivations in life. Readers get to understand the drive behind the path he chose for his life. The author's detailed account gives a sneak peek into the drug dealing underworld, allowing ordinary citizens to see the psychology and philosophy behind drug dealers' motivations. I couldn't help but notice how knowledgeable the author was about street life, street lingo, and organized crime. The ending was also satisfactory, as it answered all the significant questions I had. All this enhanced my enjoyment.

What I liked most about this novel was that it was not only an entertaining read but also an informative one, as the author incorporated commentaries worth pondering. The commentaries give insight into the drug and violence problem among immigrant communities in the US. The author has a lot of knowledge about what happens in those communities. The author's revelations and recommendations are eye-opening and may help the government, concerned organizations, and parents to understand and even curb these problems that plague immigrant communities.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The only negatives were the errors I found, and they made me deduct a star due to their number. Therefore, I rate Zoe Pound Haitians Formation by Thomas Barr Jr. four out of five stars. I would have given it the perfect rating if not for the errors.

I highly recommend this book to fans of crime novels. In particular, readers who would like to understand how political, social, and economic issues contribute to criminal life in immigrant communities will appreciate this. And lastly, this novel contains sensitive topics like drug trafficking and firearms usage, making me believe it is more suitable for a mature audience.

Zoe Pound Haitian Formation
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

A crime thriller that includes some important themes using dark parts of Haiti's recent history to develop the story of immigrants and the problems the face in the USA. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”