Review of Stranger on the Shore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of Stranger on the Shore

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stranger on the Shore" by William J. Borak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Chris is fast becoming an alcoholic, and his life and work are suffering as the first anniversary of Theresa’s death in a car accident two months before their wedding approaches. Seven months after Theresa’s death, a beautiful woman was found injured on the East River shore. Detective Ramos could not find out who this woman was, as she was not carrying any identification, but he believed she was from South America and may have been part of a cartel. At a beach bar, Chris meets Theresa’s doppelganger, Marisa, with whom Arielle encourages him to have a relationship. Does Detective Ramos discover who the mystery woman is? Is there a connection between her, Marisa, and Arielle? What is Chris’s involvement? Read the crime thriller Stranger on the Shore by William J. Borak to get all your questions answered. You will be glad you did.

William J. Borak has done an excellent job with the character development in this book. Each character has a role to play and is easy to follow. The plot flows smoothly between the past and present. It was easy to understand the importance of each character’s faith in God and the power of angels. I particularly like the hierarchy of the angels in heaven and how it resembles the corporate ladder. The author did a good job describing the demographics, like New York City, jungles, compounds, and beaches, to name a few. This book made me remember that it takes only a second for a life-changing event to happen.

The only negative aspect I encountered while reading this book was the need for professional editing. The book has misspelled words, missing punctuation, and capitalization discrepancies. The most numerous error was the inconsistency of the word “detective.” It should have been capitalized if used before a name, but not when it was used in general terms. It was done both ways throughout, and a professional editor would have corrected this inconsistency.

The only reason I found to deduct one star was the number of mistakes. Since these mistakes did not affect my reading enjoyment, I had no reason to remove any more stars. Therefore, I gave this fantastic book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Fans of Christian crime thrillers and romance books are the ones I recommend this book to. Non-Christian readers who do not believe in heaven, God, and angels will probably not enjoy this book. If gory content triggers you, you should avoid reading this book.

Stranger on the Shore
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Your review is honest and informative. Mysteries and crime solvers are one of my guilty pleasures. A little drama never hurts, either. Your review was fun to read.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I enjoyed review until the mention of angels and heaven. While I'm a believer, the connection of cartels, drugs, accident, and an alcoholic to heaven and angels does not stand well with me. Great review, anyway.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The unidentified woman sounds intriguing in this book and how she was connected to the other characters like Arielle and Marisa. It seems that the book has a concept of angels and descriptions of heaven. That's wonderful. Indeed, in just a second, life can change. Thanks for your amazing review, Bertha!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really dislike reading books that have several errors. It gives me the feeling that the reader isn't important to the process.
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

Crime thrillers keep you on your feet as you read. I enjoyed reading your review, and I am curious to read the book. I wish to find answers to the questions posed. It would be nice if the errors are edited as soon as possible. Nice review.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

With the simple fact of reading the synopsis I already find it intriguing.

Thanks for your review, this book sounds like something I would definitely read. Also, I especially like when the plot is fluid, and it's easy to follow the story.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”